Rodeo

Help Support CattleToday:

I rode bulls in high school and then for a while after that. I still have yet to say I've quit, but in the back of my mind I know it's pretty much over for me.

I rode bareback broncs through the 70's. The last one I got on was in 81. I traveled with some guys who were world champions. In the 80's I took up team roping. I quit going to ropings but I still enjoy going to the practice pen and playing with the boys.
I still like to watch good bucking horses.
Dave

J":3s8pd47b said:
I rode bulls in high school and then for a while after that. I still have yet to say I've quit, but in the back of my mind I know it's pretty much over for me.
yeah rodeo is a young mans sport. bout all you can do is stand around with a spark in your eye. wishing you were a few years younger. thinking i could of beat this guy ;-)

Last time I rode was in '87, I was 10 at the time. Blind butcher steer named Taffy (he was born blind). Probably weighed about 600 lbs at the time. After dad would feed him in the barn in the mornings, my brother and I (or friends) would sneak down to the barn and go for a ride. He wasn't much of a bucker, but he sure would spin in circles. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Did a goob bit of calf roping and team roping in high school. Got away from it for 18 years and followed a career. Finally got fed up with careers and went back to where I started. Just rope when needed or when I get bored behind a big cowherd nowadays. Not in the arena.

Dave":2cf251df said:
I rode bareback broncs through the 70's. The last one I got on was in 81. I traveled with some guys who were world champions. In the 80's I took up team roping. I quit going to ropings but I still enjoy going to the practice pen and playing with the boys.
I still like to watch good bucking horses.
Dave

aint nothing better than a good bucking bronc huh?

I rode through the early 60's and 70's...stopped around 78...I just wish I still could find the strength to do it...sure do wish I would have had a neck roll like the fellars do today :) ...I started mutton bustin' around the time I was 3 or 4 then steers and bulls from the time I was 12...then around 15 I saw the first bucking bronc and it amazed me...I couldn't help but try bronc riding after that...first few times I think I spent more time in the air before I hit the ground than I did on the broncs back :D

well its good to know there's still a few other ol bronc riders left...that aint fell apart yet :D

Have a good day Dave

Rode a few as a young teenager and early twenties. Best
memories are the ones we stayed on for 8, who cares what
score was. Trying to forget the one's the bulls won. To be
honest the bulls won more than I did. It was fun. Both sons
rode rough stock while in college. Watch bull riding on TV all
the time and wish I still had it in me.

Bulldogged as a kid in the 60s..ankles shot. Team roped, jackpot but never was good enough with a rope to bring home any money...blamed it on the horse just like the dogging...both shoulders now been repaired. Tried bull riding once...just once!
Did meet Freckles Brown one night in Lester's Dinner in Phoenix a few years back...March, '65 if I remember right. Last time I sat a horse was about ten years ago and that was when a friend wanted my opinion of the animal...told her to buy it as the horse knew more about riding than she did...turned out to be a good ride for her.
And that's my two bits worth.
Dmc

Tried calf roping but was not good enough to support the habit. Then started riding bulls and did somewhat better. I wanted to be a bull dogger but wasn't big enough. but I was just about right for a bull rider. I do wish I could do it all over again.

Good to hear from folks that slid off a running horse on to a moving animal...before it was called steer wrestling.
Nothing like the feeling of looking up at sky and feeling your arm slide off the steer as it runs past you, no horns in hand...knowing the thudd of your head hitting the dirt is only a heartbeat away....still took a bow anyway.
An old friend still brings out a picture of that when we all get together, tried to steal the damn photo years ago but no luck.
DMc

I always had to wondered about those guys who jumped off a prefectly good broke horse on to a pointy horned steer. But then some of those dogging horses weren't exactly perfectly broke. Of course it was probably like the feeling I got when I looked the gate man in the eye and nodded my head. I would sure like to get that feeling again. Probably not what happens right after I nod my head, just the rush that happens when I did it.
Dave

most ol dogging horses were ex roping prospects that didnt pan out are had the wrong trainer.and if they didnt rear up in the box and scare the he!! out of the audiance they werent worth using ;-)

Susie David":1ccb9goy said:
Bulldogged as a kid in the 60s..ankles shot. Team roped, jackpot but never was good enough with a rope to bring home any money...blamed it on the horse just like the dogging...both shoulders now been repaired. Tried bull riding once...just once!
Did meet Freckles Brown one night in Lester's Dinner in Phoenix a few years back...March, '65 if I remember right. Last time I sat a horse was about ten years ago and that was when a friend wanted my opinion of the animal...told her to buy it as the horse knew more about riding than she did...turned out to be a good ride for her.
And that's my two bits worth.
Dmc

Now that's what I like to hear...the 60's :D ...kinda upsets me hearing about the 80's people though...I was too old for bulls and broncs in the 80's :( ...I had some good ol times in the 60's though

Have a good day :)

Done me some bareback an ropen when i was a yougen. one o my boys has got em self into that bull riden an seems ta be darn good at it.

ONLY-BEEF":hakji3by said:
Done me some bareback an ropen when i was a yougen. one o my boys has got em self into that bull riden an seems ta be darn good at it.

rodeo is a good sport to get your children into...it aint the safest...but it'll sure make them tough...my sons did bareback and bullriding when they were younger...my daughters did barrel racing and roping...and its pretty fun to watch your younguns out there riding and roping and such

welp...I wish your son the best of luck with that bull riding

Have a good day

Latest posts