Rodeo ground-work

Help Support CattleToday:

Limomike

Reaction score
Any of you all know what type of soil mixture to put down in an indoor arena for bullriding and barrel racing events? Is there a difference, and what are the other particulars? IE...soil depth, preparation, etc..??

Sand, that does not compact, a minimum of 1 foot over hard surface. It must be re leveled often especially with barrel racing. For bull riding I would prefer 3 feet of foam, slows the bull down and makes for a softer landing. :lol2:
An added note; Dust will be your biggest problem. You may need to invest in some type of watering equipment.

IMO, sand is hard to work in. I would prefer a quality soil with shavings. The shavings eventually get mixed so well you hardly know they're there, but they work really well. We rototill ours, only dig down a couple inches though. Don't want a horse to pull a tendon... a common occurence for speed events in deep footing.

Thanks for the responses. I never thought of the shavings with soil mixture....good idea. Also, the depth is what I kinda figured for an indoor surface. Surface is already dirt, but just wondered about what to put on top of it to make it good for the riders. Thanks

Latest posts