Rocks and disc harrows

Help Support CattleToday:

Ruark

Reaction score
I'm just wondering what level of rocks a disc harrow will handle. This would be a smallish 6' Cat 1 harrow with 4 rows of discs. My pasture has a few places where rocks maybe 18" across are flush with the surface. Will a disc harrow just hop over it, or would it break a disc?

Ruark":3emiiomc said:
I'm just wondering what level of rocks a disc harrow will handle. This would be a smallish 6' Cat 1 harrow with 4 rows of discs. My pasture has a few places where rocks maybe 18" across are flush with the surface. Will a disc harrow just hop over it, or would it break a disc?
It will do both. It will skip for a while then eventually break a disk. The faster you run it the sooner it will break one.

exactly in rocky areas go slow and be quick to lift if you know where the rocks are... if not slow and steady wins the race

dun":2y5tb54u said:
Ruark":2y5tb54u said:
It will do both. It will skip for a while then eventually break a disk. The faster you run it the sooner it will break one.

Dun's right. I have used the same size you have with smaller rocks and I still busted one disc. And the more agressive the gang angle, the more chance of breaking a disc on the rocks. If you could get those larger rocks out you will save yourself a lot of grief replacing discs.

Latest posts