rock buckets

Help Support CattleToday:

c farmer

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone has used them. I have a couple fields that needs seeded and are rather rocky, thinking about buying one for a skidloader.

We use a pull behind PTO driven rock picker. Works good on most of the small stuff. The catch is that to do a good job you have to windrow the rocks before trying to pick them up.

I wish my dad had bought one of those things. :roll:

Red Bull Breeder":o3xs7exw said:
Use a big roller on them.

Only works for just so long. The neighbor used to roll his hay fields every spring to push back down the rocks that had creaped up during the winter. After about 4 years he noticed his yeild was falling off, too many rocks taking up space at the surface. But fortunately not everyone has the rock situation that we enjoy around here.
I have a theory about the rocks and their proliferation. Supposedly as a rock weathers it breaks down and gets smaller. My theory is that dirt is really just rock eggs and the longer they grow the bigger the rocks get.

dun":19b6zqa3 said:
Red Bull Breeder":19b6zqa3 said:
Use a big roller on them.

Only works for just so long. The neighbor used to roll his hay fields every spring to push back down the rocks that had creaped up during the winter. After about 4 years he noticed his yeild was falling off, too many rocks taking up space at the surface. But fortunately not everyone has the rock situation that we enjoy around here.
I have a theory about the rocks and their proliferation. Supposedly as a rock weathers it breaks down and gets smaller. My theory is that dirt is really just rock eggs and the longer they grow the bigger the rocks get.
I like that idea, guess the hill around here is just dirt on steroids. :D :D

oh.... if only I could get back the hours I have spent in my life....picking up rocks by hand. :devil2:

However I've saved a lot of money from having to buy landscaping rock around the farm. :banana:

we have been picking rocks for years looking for a better way to get most of them out of the field as it seems i will never get them all.

c farmer":2c4fr5d5 said:
we have been picking rocks for years looking for a better way to get most of them out of the field as it seems i will never get them all.

Rock eggs!

Asked a guy down the road about his rocks and he said that he didnt have a single rock on the farm they have all gotten married and had kids.

We use a motor grader windrow to pick up with a loader and blade off the rocks. This only get the ones on top. This keeps them where you tolerate them. In the spring we have run a roller over the fields this helps smooth out. Yes, the hand picking have done hours of that.
After reading this post I do not feel selfish about my rocks.

Stocker Steve":1uy665a5 said:
c farmer":1uy665a5 said:
how do you windrow rocks

With a rock rake if you want to get the small and medium sized ones.

I refer to it as a a "rock Make"

The more you use it the more rocks you have