Roasted Corn??

Help Support CattleToday:

travlnusa

Reaction score
Local feed place is convinced that roasted corn is the only way to go in feeding cattle. We are raising holstein bottle calves up to 500 -/+lbs

As I have ZERO experince with roasted corn, what do others say or think about it? Worth a premieum?

What are they claiming is the benefit to it? You would have to gain enough of something to overcome the cost of doing it. I'm not sure what that would be.

Dont quote me on this as I am not sure I have it 100% correct, but he was talking about the roasting process breaking down the cell walls in the corn, thus more digestable.

Kind of sounds like the old debate about cracking corn or feeding it whole. I would need more than the guy at the feed store (salesman) to buy into this. You might well gain some in digestability-but is it enough to be worth the cost and hassle? Are there any independent feeding trials available like from the University of Wisconsin?
Let us know what you find out.

iowa state did a study & say gain is 8.1% better on roasted corn & it takes 9.7%less feed b/c it digests better,also it destroys any mold in the corn

Thank you! I have been trying to find a University study of some kind. I will give it a try and track what happens.

Latest posts