Ritchie Waterer Algae Problem

Help Support CattleToday:

JeffK-MN

Reaction score
Hi My new Ritchie waterer has so much algae that every other week I have to clean it with a putty knife.
The cows don't mind it but I don't like it that bad at all.
Thanks for any help Jeff

JeffK-MN said:
Hi My new Ritchie waterer has so much algae that every other week I have to clean it with a putty knife.
The cows don't mind it but I don't like it that bad at all.
Thanks for any help Jeff

I have two of them. Never have any problems with algae but mine are hooked to a public water source. I clean mine out a couple times a year.

Same problem, I live in KS and it's well water with lots of sand so we've installed a filter. I dump a little bleach in the big stock tanks to control algae but little concerned about bleach in the fountain. I just deal with it & use a rubber spatula to scrape the algae.

Thanks for the help
Yes I live in Minnesota and the Ritchie is outside.
The water comes from our well.
Jeff

It must be heated in MN. Turn the heat down, the water is likely too warm. I set mine cool but not frozen and algae isn't much of an issue. If I see a bunch of green I know it's too warm. For some reason the Ritchie temp sensor will vary a bit over time. Maybe just wants to remind you it's there.

we have a richie four hole that is fed from a pond and it has been there over 20 years and never an algae problem....
but it is not heated either...

Thanks again
I have been trying to keep the temp. down. Buy I have had it ice up some this year.
The old Ritchie was better but it quit. The new one has stainless steel bowls and a little larger.
Jeff

I just hit mine once a week with a few drops of bleach, then scrape if needed. I prefer a touch of algae over a frozen drink hole ;-)

bball said:
I just hit mine once a week with a few drops of bleach, then scrape if needed. I prefer a touch of algae over a frozen drink hole ;-)

I don't put any bleach in, but I am a big believer that a warm waterer means less work than a frozen one! Have a generic thermostat in one waterer that works just on air temperature in the box and keeps the box 60F all winter long. Never can freeze, but lots of algae on top though! Cows don't care about algae, but go turn down thermostat and play with Lady Luck if you wish. Water might be crystal clear and frozen. :shock:

I have the same thing in WI, with my Ritchie's. Mine is well water as well. Neighbor has mirafount and has the same issue with all of there's as well. I will gladly take the algae over frozen tanks and using hoses to fill tanks the way I did water when I first started.
Is there a chance a water softener system would treat well water enough to prevent the algae from forming?

The other thing I forgot to say was algae needs sunlight to grow and the only sure way to avoid that is to have the waterers with the balls.

uplandnut said:
I have the same thing in WI, with my Ritchie's. Mine is well water as well. Neighbor has mirafount and has the same issue with all of there's as well. I will gladly take the algae over frozen tanks and using hoses to fill tanks the way I did water when I first started.
Is there a chance a water softener system would treat well water enough to prevent the algae from forming?

I doubt that removing the calcium, magnesium, and iron would do much to prevent algae from growing. Algae growing in a water softener brine tank is a fairly common problem.

My waterers get algae in them if only very lightly used or not used at all. Any number of head watering on them keeps them pretty clean.

Thanks for the help.
I was just wondering about the algae. I don't mind dealing with the algae instead of frozen watering cups.
Jeff

JeffK-MN said:
Thanks for the help.
I was just wondering about the algae. I don't mind dealing with the algae instead of frozen watering cups.
Jeff

Yeah Jeff, the newer Ritchie waterers really seem to struggle more with algae than the ol ones or the ol pride of the farm waterers. Im not sure why exactly.

Latest posts