Ringworm

Help Support CattleToday:

mariposa

Reaction score
Help!!

I have 5 Watusi cattle that are pets with two bull calves born beginning of May. I am from England and new to owning cattle and the cows have ringworm.Does anyone have any good remedies for treatment. My book on cattle says to use iodine but getting it on with me tricky as i don't have a chute. Is this the best remedy!!! I feel totally clueless!!!

Please help!!
sarah aubrey tx

ok ill just leave the 'pet' part up to somebody else.

sinse you dont have a chute, you'll probably just have to let it run its corse. it will go away by itself. it takes time but it does go away.
with my show cattle though, i scrape all the dead crap off and put coppertox on it. i hate the stuff but it does seem to work.JMO

mariposa":29hwvtxe said:
Help!!

I have 5 Watusi cattle that are pets with two bull calves born beginning of May. I am from England and new to owning cattle and the cows have ringworm.Does anyone have any good remedies for treatment. My book on cattle says to use iodine but getting it on with me tricky as i don't have a chute. Is this the best remedy!!! I feel totally clueless!!!

Please help!!
sarah aubrey tx

Do a search lot of info on it.

What Kelly (cattleluvr18) said... :nod:

Alice

3 replys without a slam. :shock:

There is a search tab at the top of the screen. Just type in "ringworm" and you'll get more info then you want to deal with.

Walt

Like cattleluvr18 and Alice said, it'll go away on its own but with all of them having it and maybe transmitting it back and forth, it may take a while.

If you want it gone faster and can get close enough to use a spray bottle, you can get liquid footrot/ringworm spray and spray it on the affected areas from more of a distance, no chute needed. Just soak the areas good once a day until the hair starts to regrow. If you can rinse the area with water before reapplying each day, it'll work that much faster. Either way, you should see results in just a few days.

Again, more info if you do a search on the subject.

if you can get close enough to use a wormer gun just put a dose of ivomech on each of them and it should eliminate the ringworm, may take a while for the hair to grow back though

FlaAngus":30a2ie1a said:
if you can get close enough to use a wormer gun just put a dose of ivomech on each of them and it should eliminate the ringworm, may take a while for the hair to grow back though

please explain, I don't see why Ivomec will help? Ringworm is a fungus very similar to athletes foot, not a worm or parasite.

What does work in a single treatment is an 1:8 dilution of lime sulphar, smells bad, stains your hands, but will kill the fungus in one treatment

Latest posts