Ringworm -- new hair = different color ??

Help Support CattleToday:

WalnutCrest

Reaction score
One of the breeds we raise is Mashona. Currently our group is really (!!) small, but growing (slowly).

One of our solid black fullblood Mashona heifers got some ringworm ... and when the hair grew back, it is solid white.

...or at least I thought it was ringworm...maybe it wasn't.

Have any of you who raise solid-colored cattle ever see anything like this?

Pearl_with_White_Spots_-_2017_04_20_small.jpg

It is very common for white hair ( meaning without pigments) to grow into an area where the skin (dermis not the epidermis) has been damaged or injured.

BTW: I should have added. The reason I said dermis is because that is the layer of skin where pigmentation occurs. The epidermis is translucent. Damage to the dermis or injury to the dermis prevents the normal process of production of pigment, thus, the new hair will be white which is the absence of pigment.

I have seen pressure points draw white hair out on many animals, and there be no visible sign of damage. Ill fitting saddles etc.

Bigfoot":mat0fgp6 said:
I have seen pressure points draw white hair out on many animals, and there be no visible sign of damage. Ill fitting saddles etc.

I have seen it on Cattle (pressure points). Right along the halter line where someone has tied a heifer and left her too long. Bigfoot, I do think it does damage to the cells of the dermis that produce the pigment.

Bright Raven":2t5s5u6g said:
Bigfoot":2t5s5u6g said:

I have seen it on Cattle (pressure points). Right along the halter line where someone has tied a heifer and left her too long. Bigfoot, I do think it does damage to the cells of the dermis that produce the pigment.
Defanatly, and it's not hard to do.

Latest posts