Ridgefield Farms

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence":s3ibr0ce said:
Doesn't look cutting edge. Looks like the old way with a some modern marketing.
If the farm is supporting 6 family's with 300 cows their sure doing something most aren't. ...idk
Good marketing.

ohiosteve":7utotv8v said:
callmefence":7utotv8v said:
If the farm is supporting 6 family's with 300 cows their sure doing something most aren't. ...idk
Good marketing.
Excellent marketing.

callmefence":3o3usxav said:

The cutting edge part comes from his feeding and weighing setups. Every animal has a EID tag, and the feed a specific animal eats is recorded and all the data from the day he starts feeding to shipping the animal is available. I saw the same exact set up in Montana at the Midland bull test station.
There's a lot more going on around there than meets the eye. They buy a lot of cattle from outside sources as long as you use Ridgefield Farms genetics, and pay a premium for them.
Here's a couple of pictures of his working facility. Note the head gate.

ohiosteve":2asz0gcs said:
ohiosteve":2asz0gcs said:
callmefence":2asz0gcs said:
Good marketing.
Excellent marketing.

And there's nothing wrong with that.

True Grit Farms":4san7p94 said:
callmefence":4san7p94 said:

The cutting edge part comes from his feeding and weighing setups. Every animal has a EID tag, and the feed a specific animal eats is recorded and all the data from the day he starts feeding to shipping the animal is available. I saw the same exact set up in Montana at the Midland bull test station.
There's a lot more going on around there than meets the eye. They buy a lot of cattle from outside sources as long as you use Ridgefield Farms genetics, and pay a premium for them.

The website says "always on grass". What feed are they measuring?

TennesseeTuxedo":1n5pvig0 said:
True Grit Farms":1n5pvig0 said:
callmefence":1n5pvig0 said:

There's more to it than meets the eye. Isn't corn and DDG grass? There's always grass around the cows, when the cattle are finished eating they go back to the grass. It's set up almost like a dairy but they don't milk the cows.

TennesseeTuxedo":2jz1oviu said:
True Grit Farms":2jz1oviu said:
callmefence":2jz1oviu said:

Man definitely say's some things I agree with.
Primarily cattle with enough space are healthier. Don't need as much doctoring, mineral etc. I read about the amount of trouble some have with sick cattle and I know something is wrong.
Obviously he's riding the grass fed coattails , but can't honestly use the term. So he's came up with always on Grass. Riding cab coattails as well , but who isn't. Idk know em. But if he's doing as well as his website projects good for him, unless he's crossed the line and is running a scam.

Fenceman you hit the bullseye. He's a good steward of the land, treats his animals great and has plenty of different pastures to rotate the cattle through, I saw all this first hand. The selling and sales pitches?

Maybe these kinda pasture to plate deals. Or even the Amazon type deal are the best defense over the looming vertical beef industry we all fear.

I keep waiting to hear what jochephus has to say. Him being very intelligent,and very opinionated on this type of thing... :pop:

callmefence":23jvkyy3 said:
Maybe these kinda pasture to plate deals. Or even the Amazon type deal are the best defense over the looming vertical beef industry we all fear.

I keep waiting to hear what jochephus has to say. Him being very intelligent,and very opinionated on this type of thing... :pop:

What does that mean? That he is cheap?

I can vouch for that. He is too cheap to buy beer so he makes it. Jocheapus. :D

Bright Raven":3asncfjw said:
callmefence":3asncfjw said:

It's obviously a typo. Quit acting like tt

callmefence":15kyp6q0 said:
Bright Raven":15kyp6q0 said:
callmefence":15kyp6q0 said:

It's obviously a typo. Quit acting like tt

Good advice.

DDG's and corn are grain, not grass. He has listed "vegetarian diet" Which would consist of nothing but grass / forbs.

But.. everyone is listing "GRASS FED BEEF" RAISED ON CORN ! ! ! all over so the term is pretty much meaningless anymore anyway. No one understands raising cattle or anything either, so whoever you can get to buy it.. sell it.

looks like a nice setup, something i'm working on myself.

ddd75":ebbme87p said:
DDG's and corn are grain, not grass. He has listed "vegetarian diet" Which would consist of nothing but grass / forbs.

But.. everyone is listing "GRASS FED BEEF" RAISED ON CORN ! ! ! all over so the term is pretty much meaningless anymore anyway. No one understands raising cattle or anything either, so whoever you can get to buy it.. sell it.

A couple of the yearlings had green tags in their right ear and all the others had yellow tags in their left, needless to say I wanted to know why. He said those with the green tags needed to be doctored and will be sold at the sale barn.
Artesianspringsfarm, sells his beef the same way just on a smaller scale, he doesn't feed his cattle anything but grass, hay and snow though.

ddd75":3jsvbp1k said:

I read his website and apparently missed the reference to "grass fed". I did see "all natural" which he clearly is doing. And he certainly never mentioned "organic". Looks like the guys has it going right.

TexasBred":2et4rmj9 said:
ddd75":2et4rmj9 said:

I read his website and apparently missed the reference to "grass fed". I did see "all natural" which he clearly is doing. And he certainly never mentioned "organic". Looks like the guys has it going right.

I certainly never mentioned anything about "organic" .. I also never said anything about him using the term "grassfed." I was referencing OTHER people using the "grassfed" term. .

Latest posts