Riders Choice Saddles

Help Support CattleToday:

flaboy

Reaction score
Anyone use Riders Choice saddles? I was reading thread on a ropers forum and found out about them. Seems some of the roper guys are using them. I looked at them and they were made pretty well but they are not pretty with a lot of tooling which is ok with me.

I bought two and had some changes made to the standard roper they make. So far I am pretty pleased. They could have been pre oiled though. I am still breaking them in.

IMHO, well worth the money. With my mods they were around $500 each and are made in Alabama.

Fla,
Don't have much to say about "Rider's Choice". No experiences with them. I'm riding a custom Mike Wilder from Kenansville, FL. Couldn't be happier except VERY expensive. A lot of our dayworkers use Corriente when they want a budget saddle. $600 delivered to your door in a month. Haven't seen a tree come out of one yet, and we rope some pretty rank stuff when the opportunity presents itself (and sometimes even when it doesn't!!).

D.R. Cattle":2avq1mls said:
Fla,
Don't have much to say about "Rider's Choice". No experiences with them. I'm riding a custom Mike Wilder from Kenansville, FL. Couldn't be happier except VERY expensive. A lot of our day workers use Corriente when they want a budget saddle. $600 delivered to your door in a month. Haven't seen a tree come out of one yet, and we rope some pretty rank stuff when the opportunity presents itself (and sometimes even when it doesn't!!).

Hey D.R., how have ya been? Haven't heard much from you lately. I have heard of Mike Wilder but I haven't seen any of his saddles. I don't rope much anymore but wanted one I could rope off of if needed. This saddle is very comfortable, wooden tree, and rigging that goes across the saddle not built into the skirt. Now I remember why I hate new saddles. Done put about $30 worth of oil on them, tied them up, put a 2x4 through the stirrups but they ain't there yet. They probably need some wet workouts before they will come around.

I wanted different forks but went with the standard roping forks once I found out how much the kind of forks on my old saddle would cost to put on these.

Before you grease it, set it out in the sun and get it hot. I reckon the pores in the leather open. Seems to accept it a lot better. Wish I could let you ride mine for a day or two. You'd be spoiled. Bear trap forks, double rawhide covered "Form Fit" fiberglass tree, six string with saddle pockets incorporated. I opted for strings instead of Blevins buckles, and had the stirrup leathers outside of the fenders like the old timer saddles. Barbwire border tooling all the way. Had a holster for my fence pliers built into the right side pocket. If I could get out of it for a few days I'd take it back and see about adding a holster for my six shot. Balance of saddle pocket space dedicated to whiskey flask and tie ropes. I carry the pistol in a saddle pocket now and don't like it like that. Bounces around and isn't handy when a Brammer bull needs a dose of ratshot. Haven't made any leaks in my tree yet. The bear trap swells are pretty sweet when you work with colts. Thigh bruises are better than seperated shoulders.

Mu old Roebucks has something similar to the bear trap swell. I have been asked by some how I bull dogged off of it with them. I told I never really thought about it. I just got off.

I will look Mike up. Seems he did some repair on a Billy Cook for a friend of mine. The repair costs almost as much as my saddle.

Not a very good picture but here the Roebuck I bought in 1965 or 66.
robuck.jpg

Here is the Riders Choice unit. This is their picture. I had the rough out seat flipped smooth side up on mine.
riders.jpg

I'll bet that old Sears saddle is a well built unit. Don't ever get rid of that. Probably a collectors item. I'll try and remember to get a photo of my custom and post it in the next day or two. Mr. Wilder is pretty serious about his saddle making and quality. He's done some daywork for the outfit I'm with and I had the opportunity to ride with him. He usually heads up the Florida Cracker Cattle drive. But he's pretty proud of his work when he makes up the bill too. Keep that in mind. But like the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. My dad bought a "Buffalo" saddle I think it was called. Not much of a saddle but works pretty darn good for a feller that rides casually. Doesn't make sense to pay $2500 for seldom used.

I don't plan on getting rid of the old Sears saddle. I still use it on occasion. Very comfortable. I also have an old Big Horn my grandaddy used. It is much older than my Sears. It is like sitting on an iron pipe. Won't be getting rid of that one either. I suspect when I am gone and my stuff is rifled through, they will just get tossed. :(

Latest posts