Revisiting Cow Size

Help Support CattleToday:

greenwillowhereford II

Reaction score
On paper, the 1,300-1,400# purebred Brangus bred to a solid Angus bull should have produced many more pounds than the 900# Beefmaster/Limi cross bred to a solid Hereford bull. In the field, the red calf only a month older, outweighed the black by a good hundred pounds at weaning (and displayed much more thickness). This is a true story.

How do you get a 900# Beefmaster/Limi cross? Are not both those large frame breeds? I know there is variance in all breeds and I havn't seen to many of either. The beefmasters I have seen were cull cows through the sall they avg. 2000lbs.

TB-Herefords":6t5aky3x said:
How do you get a 900# Beefmaster/Limi cross? Are not both those large frame breeds? I know there is variance in all breeds and I havn't seen to many of either. The beefmasters I have seen were cull cows through the sall they avg. 2000lbs.

Must've been breeders who got way carried away. There are areas which support larger framed cows. One size doesn't fit all, but does fit most. The great majority of Beefmaster cows (4 years old and up) that I have seen are in the 1,100-1,500 lb range...most being 1,200-1,400 lbs. In my opinion, if you want to know what something should be, go to the maker. Lasaters made Beefmasters. I'd bet 95% of their herd that I saw fit the numbers I just mentioned. Their bulls usually mature at 2,000-2,200 lbs...and it's usually muscle and thickness moreso than frame.

EC

its a pretty well known fact that beefmaster or beefmaster cross calves are heavier an thicker.we will be sending a bunch of beefmaster cross calves to the sale in a month or so.an im ready to see what they weigh.i know they will be heavier than the hereford sired calves.

ALACOWMAN":33ppbd23 said:
sound alot more like heterosis at work to me.

I was thinking the same thing, or just better genetics all the way around

Frankie":ohjeim7f said:
greenwillowhereford II":ohjeim7f said:
On paper, ....

What paper, quilted Northern?

May I clarify?

I'm not stating that it is the Hereford versus Angus. I'm pointing out that we can identify individuals that are more efficient and build on them, whatever the color. For the record, I raised the Hereford bull myself. He weighed 2,100 after shrink at the yards at five years old, and brought over fourteen hundred dollars.

greenwillowhereford II":221h8ita said:
Frankie":221h8ita said:
greenwillowhereford II":221h8ita said:
On paper, ....

What paper, quilted Northern?

May I clarify?

I'm not stating that it is the Hereford versus Angus. I'm pointing out that we can identify individuals that are more efficient and build on them, whatever the color. For the record, I raised the Hereford bull myself. He weighed 2,100 after shrink at the yards at five years old, and brought over fourteen hundred dollars.

I'm still interested in what paper you referenced when you said the 1300-1400 lb Brangus bred to Angus "should have produced many more pounds" than the 900 lb crossbred cow. This is apparently not just your opinion, but has been written down by someone, somewhere. I'm interested in reading it. Thanks.....

Sounds like a good F1. That is why I am going to raise black white face heifers off of pure bred registered Angus. Can't beat the true three way cross for hybred vigor!

Santas and Duhram Reds":17rwhwr4 said:
George Monk":17rwhwr4 said:
Sounds like a good F1. That is why I am going to raise black white face heifers off of pure bred registered Angus. Can't beat the true three way cross for hybred vigor!

How is this a 3way cross? Hereford x angus is an F1. Where is the 3rd breed?

By putting another breed bull on those F1 heifers, you get a three way cross.

May I clarify?

I'm not stating that it is the Hereford versus Angus. I'm pointing out that we can identify individuals that are more efficient and build on them, whatever the color. For the record, I raised the Hereford bull myself. He weighed 2,100 after shrink at the yards at five years old, and brought over fourteen hundred dollars.[/quote]

I'm still interested in what paper you referenced when you said the 1300-1400 lb Brangus bred to Angus "should have produced many more pounds" than the 900 lb crossbred cow. This is apparently not just your opinion, but has been written down by someone, somewhere. I'm interested in reading it. Thanks.....[/quote]

Now I see what you are getting at. As you may know if you have noticed, I have been arguing for moderation in cow size. Personally, I think 900# is somewhat too small.

By "on paper," I mean that if the average Joe put a blank sheet of paper on the table and using the preconceived notions that many have expressed, he put a pencil to it,would arrive at the conclusion that a cow that much larger would theoretically raise a heavier calf. I had no intention of misleading anyone.
I don't think Herefordsire would be offended or disagree if I said he has made his preference for larger cattle known, and I was actually looking for a discussion out of him with the original post. :lol:

Bear in mind here that the hybrid vigor in both these crosses was somewhat minimized, because the cow in each case had a blend of the same breed as the bull she was bred to.

Santas and Duhram Reds":17m7yvat said:
I realize what a 3way cross is. Hence the name. I didn't realize another breed of bull was mentioned, and I don't think it was.
beefmaster/limm cross, cow... bred to a hereford bull

Latest posts