returning calf to mother

Help Support CattleToday:

CyberSnooze

Reaction score
We just had a terrible snow/sleet/rain storm for the last two days, so I brought a 3 day old calf in for two nights because he was all alone away from the herd shivering etc. (he is knuckled over in front and can't walk very well yet...keeps falling over). The mother has stood at the gate ever since calling for him. Anyway, I gave him a bottle of electrolytes and just put him back. (Vet told me to give some electrolyte before putting him out so he wouldn't gorge on milk and get scours.) She went up to him , licked him, mooed, and everything seemed ok. But now, about an hour later, she has left him and is right back at the gate staring at me like she's still looking for him. SHOULD I WORRY? I never did see him nurse, and of course she looks like she's about to bust.

milkmaid":1ddbh41w said:
Pen 'em up together.

MM is right on. Their bonding got interrupted. Watch them closely. Soon may need training for calf and mother about nursing.

I have to "assume" there was no way in h--ll that you could pen the dam up also - that would have been best. Taking a newborn away from mom that young is tough - on both the calf & the dam. Her udder has got to be super sore, and may not "let" the calf suck. You may need to restrain her & make her let the calf suck.
If you were unable to get the dam in the barn, you might have put the calf in during night & out during day with dam

You need to pen them together. I would treat it like I was fostering on a new calf

Latest posts