Retailing local beef

Help Support CattleToday:

sben222

Reaction score
Anyone suggest the best way to market local custom cut beef on a retail level? I want to open a local butcher shop that focuses on the 'true butcher service' that a lot of retail stores ignore nowadays!

We're jumping through thoes hoops right now. Are you USDA certified, first step, local health approval, second step. Then need to develop a customer base, this takes awhile and word of mouth takes years. Analyze your potential market demographics and develop a strategy to capture that business.
We're exploring the Farmer's markets, seasonal but you have a ready source of folks that are looking for natural and healthy sources of food products. We still maintain our customer base that buys live animals on a cost share basis with one, two or three other folks and we broker the processing...avoids alot of the retail sales hassle and almost guarentees us reliable sales every quarter.
Advertise heavily to your market and never compete based upon price; thats all I can offer on that subject...Dave Mc

Susie David":3l539f01 said:
We're jumping through thoes hoops right now. Are you USDA certified, first step, local health approval, second step. Then need to develop a customer base, this takes awhile and word of mouth takes years. Analyze your potential market demographics and develop a strategy to capture that business.
We're exploring the Farmer's markets, seasonal but you have a ready source of folks that are looking for natural and healthy sources of food products. We still maintain our customer base that buys live animals on a cost share basis with one, two or three other folks and we broker the processing...avoids alot of the retail sales hassle and almost guarentees us reliable sales every quarter.
Advertise heavily to your market and never compete based upon price; thats all I can offer on that subject...Dave Mc
Thanks for the reply! Can you pm me and explain a little more what you do? I am very driven to take on this business, but I want to research the heck out of it before I start investing $$. I am a butcher by trade, and am currently working in sales and marketing for Stock Yards Meat Packing Company.

If you know what you are doing and can get the licenses and certification, I bet you can find a cattle supplier easily and maybe some financial backing too by making yourself known in livestock circles.

Brandonm2...hit it on the head...get known. Do you want to process your own cattle or buy from a producer. Alot of good guys out here that would be glad to sell finished animals.
DMc

are you going to kill anything and sell it on quality grades? Are you going to have specifications as far as breeding and Feeding?

Beef11":3a294mo8 said:
are you going to kill anything and sell it on quality grades? Are you going to have specifications as far as breeding and Feeding?
Those are the kind of demographic characters I am researching now. On just the custom cut -private individuals, that won't be a great concern. However, for retailing the local beef I source, that is a great question. do you suggest anything?

I knew a place that wouldn't buy any beef that hadn't been on Feed for at least 90 days. I also would set up a couple of producers that have a consistent genetic profile on their herd for example All black baldy cows bred back to carcass angus bulls. That would give you a consistent product. If you have cattle out of a mongrelized herd you run the risk of having a great deal of variation among your animals and of course your meat.

sben222":2zjc1xr3 said:
Beef11":2zjc1xr3 said:
Those are the kind of demographic characters I am researching now. On just the custom cut -private individuals, that won't be a great concern. However, for retailing the local beef I source, that is a great question. do you suggest anything?
If you are going to kill the cattle at your place, and sell it on a quality grade you will have to have a USDA grader there on the day that you are killing to grade the carcasses. You will also have to have USDA inspectors if selling out of state or State inspectors on premises if your business is confined to the state where you are doing business to inspect the carcasses.

Latest posts