restraining a cow to check feet

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
ive got a headcatch. chute etc.

got a heifer that i think has a hurt hip but i wanna check her back feet anyways since my pastures are full of bits of hardware and i wanna make sure its not a foot problem

so how do i keep from getting the crap kicked out of me and other than using a ratchet strap on the side of the chute how am i gonna lift it to look at it without getting kicked seriuosly in the face.
weve all been kicked...in the shin it hurts..in the mouth could be life changing and my face will be pretty close to the cows foot obviously
i got til 4 pm sun to figure it out

any help is appreciated. shes getting around fine just dragging one rear leg and limping a bit
thanks
gary

Close the chute bottom as much as you can and if you can squeeze her tight. We open the lower panels of the chute and hobble the rear legs with rope or a strap. You could hobble the bad leg forward to prevent her from extending the hoof backwards if she tries to kick. If the foot is sore a looped rope can usually be used to lift the hoof up and back since she won't have much weight on it. Try to pull the hoof up and outside the chute a bit so your head is pretty well clear of everything behind as well (if she tries to kick you will yank your head back quickly). No sense knocking yourself out.

If you have a cell phone with a decent camera you might try to clean the bottom of the hoof and then take a photo first. Cell phone replacement is painful to the wallet but not the face. Much cheaper.

Gary put her in the chute and catch her head. Take a piece of 1/2 to 3/4 rope with an eye in one end and put a half hitch around her foot. Then just lift it up and tie it to the top of the chute. I put the half hitch on from the side and not from the back of the cow. She can't kick with one foot off the ground. Bring it up to make about a 90 degree bend at the elbow and start inspecting for trouble.

thanks man..after i found that link its the way.its tough learning and doin it all w/o any exp.
trying not to get killed in the meantime
i appreciate your help..good expl too!
im leaning more towards the bull crushed her but i gotta work em tomorrow so i gotta check

Latest posts