Restoring Elk in Missouri

Help Support CattleToday:

I saw that, hope you keep them down there. There's an elk head mounted in Rock Port about an hour north of here. Says it's the last wild elk killed in Missouri. Everyone I know says, "Thank God they finally got them all killed." Now thanks to the hillbillies and the MDC we're gonna' have to start over. gs

In Michigan they restocked them in the early 1900s and they have done a good job keeping them in an area of the state so that they don't impact agriculture any worse then they are now. I went to college with a kid from the Elk area and he said they just go right through fences. There is a cow and bull season every fall but it is real hard to get a permit, big lottery, lots of applicants and only about 1000 permits a year.

:roll: Some of you guys sound like it would be a real tragedy if elk where to come to your area. They are not that bad on fences, they learn about them just as deer do. It's hard to believe that ranchers have survived as long as they have with all the elk in Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho, Washington, oh yea and Oregon. I'll take 300 elk to 1 wild, feral, hog any day, they sound like a real problem with crops.

Maybe it's because I know how it feels to put one of these guys in the freezer with a 70 lb compound at 40 yards.... The only thing better may be hunting gators and keeping all your parts.

Alan

plumber_greg":1eswk0f4 said:
I saw that, hope you keep them down there. There's an elk head mounted in Rock Port about an hour north of here. Says it's the last wild elk killed in Missouri. Everyone I know says, "Thank God they finally got them all killed." Now thanks to the hillbillies and the MDC we're gonna' have to start over. gs
I heard it was them Yankees from Northern Mo that wanted the Elk you know the ones that got lots of money
I have heard most of them guys are plumbers and fitters :lol:

The was an attempt at Elk restoration here in the mid-1960's. A few pairs were put onto a military installation. They had 2000 acres of scrub trees to forage. They didn't seem to spread out of the base. I don't know if there are any left.

Alan the states you mentioned have way better elk range than Arkansas or Mo. The elk here are protected you can't kill them. There is maybe twenty tags a year drawing in a state wide lottery.With a couple donated to the Rocky Mountian Elk Foundation that are auctioned off and the proceeds donated back to AGF. Very few people in the area where the elk are have ever got a tag. But we are the ones with damaged fences and crops.I do contract work for the AGF, and cut a lot of hay on AGF land Hay feilds on AGF land where i work and cut hay had a 30 percent elk damage this year. AGF pays me to plant it fertilize it. I pay them for the the hay that i cut and bale. If AGF was not planting food plots for the elk farmers in this area would be losing 30 percent of there hay with out any payment for damages.

By the way Brad where do you reckon some of your Elk are a coming from. :lol: Been gonna mention this to you.

Red Bull Breeder":4d9cv4sy said:
By the way Brad where do you reckon some of your Elk are a coming from. :lol: Been gonna mention this to you.
I figured it was some more Arkies trying to pawn off more junk on us good missouri folks

I was sure hoping to get some of that gov't work on the Mo/Ark line but then we got Obama in and he CHANGED all of our plans and cut out our Gov't funding

We was gonna open the worlds largest zoo all we was doing was putting a fence around Arkansas :cowboy: :p :p :p

I may get to like elk a little bit more after this fall, got me a elk tag this year. Been a bucket training one down on the river so i can tole him in home when the time is right.

Red Bull Breeder":272wl7oh said:
Hey AC AGF says your folks in Mo. are to picky. Gonna have to get your elk somewhere else.
If being too picky means not taking any of them inbred two headed and 6 legged elk then I guess we are!!!!!!!!
when are you folks in Arkansas gonna realize what is normal for your state isn't normal anywhere else :lol: :lol:

I heard it may be 5yrs before they actually get any and get them established

Your Mo. conservation people want our AGF people to pen the ones they want for 90 days. Sounds your Mo. need to figure out they ain't cows.You was gonna get the pet Elk from Boxley Valley. A Elk roundup might have been fun.

I would love to here the bugle of a bull elk come rolling over the hilltops here! Awesome :clap:

I live in Shannon County. And have several friends that work for the Conservation Dept. From what I have heard, they are going to be here in February. Pretty much a done deal. I think most locals here are against them because they think there will be an agent behind every tree keeping and eye on them. If that is the case I want to know why they dont have that know. Spotlighters keep the roads hot all fall and winter here. And rarely does anybody get caught. I found a 10 point that I had passed on 3-times because I wanted a better shot, dead last year, in mid Oct. Gut shot and laying in the corner of my neighbors pasture. These guys do nothing but hunt ( at night) all fall and winter. They have places to go with all the meat, hides, and horns. So if Elk come in here, they will be lucky to last very long.
Sorry, just venting.

Latest posts