Resthome for horses!

Help Support CattleToday:

steffan

Reaction score
Hi, we are the only registered charity in British Columbia, Canada that takes in unwanted horses and other animals, they all stay with us for the rest of their lives, with any medical attention or special needs. We operate by donations. I have a proposal in at givemeaning.com and we are needing your help in signing our petition to support our proposal, we have until Aug. 17 to collect 86 more signatures (need 100), then our proposal goes to the next stage, which is onto the projects. We're in need of a dry place for our 7 horses, of those 5 belong to the charity, before the rainy season starts and winter sets in. Visit our web page for more information, our registered charity number is at the bottom of each page there, the address is: members.shaw.ca/randrfarm Thanks for your support.

Well Steffan - I guess I will not sign your paper. I believe horses should go to slaughter when they are finished.

We are in dire straits out there and the last thing this country - or the U.S. of A. needs is a bunch of charities for old horses.

Better we look after our people in need and kill the horses.

There are a bunch of better places for the bucks besides keeping mobile glue factories alive.

Cannot stop you from your beliefs - but within the next two years there is going to be a heck of a crunch on unwanted ponies on this continent - how do you decide which ones live and which ones die?

I figure 20 million Europeans cannot all be wrong - horse tastes gooooood!!

Regards

Bez+

Bez+":1s3vzajr said:
Well Steffan - I guess I will not sign your paper. I believe horses should go to slaughter when they are finished.

We are in dire straits out there and the last thing this country - or the U.S. of A. needs is a bunch of charities for old horses.

There are a bunch of better places for the bucks besides keeping mobile glue factories alive.

Cannot stop you from your beliefs - but within the next two years there is going to be a heck of a crunch on unwanted ponies on this continent - how do you decide which ones live and which ones die?

Regards

Bez+
i dont know where you are at but i am pretty sure all horse slaughter houses were shut down.

Moocow11":2eualuwj said:
Bez+":2eualuwj said:

Regards

Bez+
i dont know where you are at but i am pretty sure all horse slaughter houses were shut down.

Agreed but only in the U.S. of A. - that is why I stated there will be a - heck of a crunch on unwanted ponies on this continent

That is also why I asked - how do you decide which ones live and which ones die?

Horse slaughter still happens in Canada - some horses were shipped here a while back for slaughter from the U.S. of A. - made the news - although for the life of me I cannot understand why. They get eaten.

Regards

Bez+

Bez+":3vrverxy said:
Horse slaughter still happens in Canada - some horses were shipped here a while back for slaughter from the U.S. of A. - made the news - although for the life of me I cannot understand why. They get eaten.

Regards

Bez+

Maybe because a part of the horse slaughter ban is that it is illegal to ship horses to another country for the purpose of slaughter?

msscamp":28tc16kt said:
Bez+":28tc16kt said:

Regards

Bez+

Maybe because a part of the horse slaughter ban is that it is illegal to ship horses to another country for the purpose of slaughter?

Is that so? Did not know that. So you folks not only cannot slaughter - you have to KEEP them as well?

Ouch.

Gonna' be a population explosion on horses going wild in the wilderness I figure.

Bez+

Bez+":2dkt0n14 said:
msscamp":2dkt0n14 said:
Bez+":2dkt0n14 said:

Regards

Bez+

Is that so? Did not know that. So you folks not only cannot slaughter - you have to KEEP them as well?

Ouch.

Gonna' be a population explosion on horses going wild in the wilderness I figure.

Bez+

Yep. "Ouch" about sums it up, and I really hate to think about the repercussions of this stupid, asinine, ill-thought out legislation - but I think I'm safe in saying that the horses are going to pay for it. I suspect you're right, and I also suspect that, eventually, horses are going to be abandoned/turned loose/left to starve to death by the thousands. The way the bill was written, there is plenty of room for them to eventually outlaw transporting horses to rodeo's, competitions, horse shows, and a variety of other things that they deem to be "inhumane", as well.

We can always truck them out west, and turn them out on the BLM rangeland. That way the taxpayer can care for them!

Maybe get some Congressional Oversight Commitee to set up a budget. (There real good at that) :roll:

I apologize to MSSCAMP, who is always thoughtful and level headed, and gives sound advice.

I just felt like being silly.

Fortunately, there are still people with money to spend who will by horses, even if they can't be ridden. Helped a guy unload 15 head of Appies recently and they all got pretty good homes. Price was low, and some trainers and peddlers stepped up with the cash. So sometimes it all works out.

msscamp":skv60ven said:
Bez+":skv60ven said:

Regards

Bez+

According to an article in the Aug. issue of Western Horseman, "Federal records show that 10,736 horses were shipped south of the border for slaughter during the first 19 weeks of the year, up from 2,744 for the same period in 2006, nearly a 400% increase. Canada saw a nearly 31% increase of U.S. horses imported during the first 3 months of 2007."

It seems that horses are still being shipped across borders to slaughter. The slaughter ban is one of the dumbest things that have been done in a long time. We will see long term negitive effects until someone goes a brain and allows U.S. slaughter again.

JMO,
Alan

I've heard some terrible things about the South of the border slaughter houses. At least in the US we did it in a humane fashion. Horses are the nobel beast but they do deserve better than to starve to death in someones back yard because they are not wanted anymore. Let us not forget they still are livestock.

skidboots":19hvc8uj said:
I apologize to MSSCAMP, who is always thoughtful and level headed, and gives sound advice.

Fortunately, there are still people with money to spend who will by horses, even if they can't be ridden. Helped a guy unload 15 head of Appies recently and they all got pretty good homes. Price was low, and some trainers and peddlers stepped up with the cash. So sometimes it all works out.

No apology necessary. :) Thanks for the information, I'm glad there are people like that out there.

Alan, perhaps they are not enforcing the transportation ban yet? Perhaps it is unenforceable, or maybe those horses were already consigned to the slaughter plants prior to the ban being passed - I don't know. I just know that the ban specifically outlawed transport for the purpose of slaughter.

msscamp":eb4wiw1o said:
skidboots":eb4wiw1o said:

No apology necessary. :) Thanks for the information, I'm glad there are people like that out there.

Alan, perhaps they are not enforcing the transportation ban yet? Perhaps it is unenforceable, or maybe those horses were already consigned to the slaughter plants prior to the ban being passed - I don't know. I just know that the ban specifically outlawed transport for the purpose of slaughter.

MS,

That very will be, What really matters is the horse industry is already suffering from the effects of this ban.

Alan

Alan":36f2dmv5 said:
msscamp":36f2dmv5 said:
skidboots":36f2dmv5 said:

MS,

That very will be, What really matters is the horse industry is already suffering from the effects of this ban.

Alan

I know. :(

Steffan

Showed up last Sunday and has disappeared it seems.

Perhaps s/he lives in a dream world and thought us folks would be a real soft touch?

People living and working in the animal part of ag are sometimes a bit more pragmatic about life than those living in town.

Bez+

Latest posts