Resource x EXT

Help Support CattleToday:

dbirdsong

Reaction score
Resource x EXT
This bull call was extremely large at birth. I sent DNA off on the calf and am anxious to see what his bw and ced comes back as. His EXT Dam doesn't usually throw calve anywhere close to his birth weight and is an excellent cow with a superb udder. The combination should be a female producer but would you be afraid to use him on cows?

dbirdsong said:
Resource x EXT
This bull call was extremely large at birth. I sent DNA off on the calf and am anxious to see what his bw and ced comes back as. His EXT Dam doesn't usually throw calve anywhere close to his birth weight and is an excellent cow with a superb udder. The combination should be a female producer but would you be afraid to use him on cows?

I wouldnt be scared to put him on cows. I think that's the kind of bull that most cows need. Most cows should be able to handle almost any angus bull out there. We've never had a problem Calving any Resource calves out of our cows. I'd be surprised if his BW and CED is much higher if at all than his Sire.

I had three Resource calves this year. Two over a 100 lbs and one 95 lbs. they are averaging over 20 pounds heavier than those cows claves last year. I think some of it's management though because I left protein tubs out this fall and have never done that before.

dbirdsong said:
I had three Resource calves this year. Two over a 100 lbs and one 95 lbs. they are averaging over 20 pounds heavier than those cows claves last year. I think some of it's management though because I left protein tubs out this fall and have never done that before.

More important to note what they weigh versus your other calves this year than comparing to last year. Year to year will be huge differences depending on management and weather.

Yes my entire calf crop were heavier. Most of my Rampage calves were in the 90s.

LCBulls said:
dbirdsong said:
Resource x EXT

I wouldnt be scared to put him on cows. I think that's the kind of bull that most cows need. Most cows should be able to handle almost any angus bull out there. We've never had a problem Calving any Resource calves out of our cows. I'd be surprised if his BW and CED is much higher if at all than his Sire.

I went out on a limb a little and am using higher bw bulls now. So far so good on the fall calves ...one 92 pounds, most around 80. On average id say 5 to 10 pounds heavier at birth than our other bulls with +2 bw. These are out of a bull with+5 bw. Was a little nervous about using him and still am a little especially since spring calves are just starting which I expect will be a little heavier. But I guess I'm not too nervous considering just bought two more bulls with +4 bw.

dbirdsong said:
Yes my entire calf crop were heavier. Most of my Rampage calves were in the 90s.

Curious what part of the country you are in. I'm wondering how much bw variation if same bull and same cow were bred and calved out in different parts of the country. Seems I've heard calves come lighter in the south??

Southern Oklahoma, my calves average in the high 70s to low 80s most years out of these cows. I seldom have a calf in the 90s but this year I have had several 90+. This calf has been the heaviest so far.

My FIL has a donor he's flushed off and on for many years. He has a good surplus of embryos that he'll pick from every year to put in his cows. So often times, we'll see the same mating for 3-4 years. The calves from matings he has had prior, are coming much heavier this year than in years past.

We had a very good summer with rainfall. It's currently bitter out but I wouldn't say that our winter has been harsh.