Researching Genetics on Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

allisonr

Reaction score
Anyone know a good website where I can find the genetic lines of calves? As we buy calves I like to do an in-depth "pedigree" showing their full genetic line. No real reason other than I'm trying to learn more about genetics and getting better calves by crossing good genetics rather than just slapping the latest Lautner bull on her and hoping she throws something good. I've had some luck with simply googling sires and websites such as ABS, SEK, Bull Barn Semen, and other semen sale sites, but I wondered if there was a Master Sire List that had all of the sires ever used, ever. ( some sort of cattle census? haha) It would help if the calves were PB as I could look on breed websites but lord knows how much these clubbys are crossed.

I guess for example; a calf we just bought is a Southern Comfort daughter. If you search Southern Comfort the first thing you find is the drink, then once you find the actual genetics of the bull, it just says he's out of a Stainless Steel daughter. I just want to know more about that dam and her genetic line. Anyone have any advice?

The most thorough results would be to go to the breed association website and like at the pedigree.

Your breed association should have a progeny list to show actual birth weights and growth numbers in the calves

Thanks guys for the info!
This task would be a lot easier if I was breeding PB! Unfortunately the club calf industry is so intermixed nowadays. I guess I'm just trying to learn a little here. It just bugs me when people say "oh yeah she's a ___ heifer.." If I'm buying something I don't just want to know her sire, I want to know her dam, and her dam's sire&dam and so on! Call me crazy but I like to know what I'm buying!

Clubby cattle are so mixed up, other than a few common denominators it's hard to do any genetic evaluation other than looking for pictures of other calves out of a sire you're considering. When you're using a bull who is 3 or more breeds on a cow that is 3 or more breeds (that may be completely different breeds) whos pedigrees have been selected purely on phenotype for multiple generations, there's next to no genetic predictability to be had.

That being said, many of the more heavily used bulls are known for certain traits. Steerplanet.com has a lot of discussions on bulls and show cattle. Same format as this site, just clubby focused

Thanks Flacowman, yeah after posting this I've came to the realization that I will just have to take what I can get with the genetic lines when it comes to club calves. And I'm actually pretty familiar with steerplanet.com; I was a member there before I came here. I personally prefer this site better... broader topics, more organized,and a LOT more members/activity. Thanks for your input though!

Latest posts