Reported calving ease

Help Support CattleToday:

blacksnake

Reaction score
I just looked through all the sale books that were delivered with the Sept issue of the Angus Journal. i noticed one breeder reported the actual calving ease of most of the individual animals. There must have been over 100. All were reported as calving ease of 1, meaning no assistance. Any opinions on how much stock to put in these numbers. Sounds like they are doing a good job at managing calving ease or there is something funky in the reporting.I would have thought that there would have been some assistance required on some with that many animals.

Could be either. Look back at the calving easeof the ancestors if they weren;t born on the same ranch.

blacksnake":2bl4pk2p said:
I just looked through all the sale books that were delivered with the Sept issue of the Angus Journal. i noticed one breeder reported the actual calving ease of most of the individual animals. There must have been over 100. All were reported as calving ease of 1, meaning no assistance. Any opinions on how much stock to put in these numbers. Sounds like they are doing a good job at managing calving ease or there is something funky in the reporting.I would have thought that there would have been some assistance required on some with that many animals.

Well, it always makes me wonder when I see a large number of animals, and there were no assists on any of them, cause you would think that something would have at the very least been a malpresentation. But, there could be reasons for this. They may have culled out any animals that were assisted. Maybe they had 150 animals and the assisted ones were in the 50 culls. Could be that the calves were all really light BW, that would lessen any chance of assists. Or, they are fudging the numbers a bit.

Which catalog? So I can look & see how the info is presented. I was shocked at the amount of catalogs in the Journal this month & last. Seems to be more every year at this time.

blacksnake":lrfbtrqp said:

Blacksnake....since you are in Illinois, if you are looking for black Angus I know an excellent breeder. PM me if you ever want their contact info.