Report card comments

Help Support CattleToday:

Tommy Ruyle

Reaction score
These 12 are actual comments made on students' report cards by teachers in the New York City public school system. All teachers were reprimanded but, boy, are these funny!

1. Since my last report, your child has reached rock bottom and has started to dig.

2. I would not allow this student to breed.

3. Your child has delusions of adequacy.

4. Your son is depriving a village somewhere of an idiot.

5. Your son sets low personal standards and then consistently fails to achieve them.

6. The student has a 'full six-pack' but lacks the plastic thing to hold it all together.

7. This child has been working with glue too much.

8. When your daughter's IQ reaches 50, she should sell.

9. The gates are down, the lights are flashing, but the train isn't coming.

10. If this student were any stupider he'd have to be watered twice a week.

11. Its impossible to believe the sperm that created this child beat out 1,000,000 others.

12. The wheel is turning but the hamster is definitely dead.

Once had a math teacher tell me that I had reached the "bottom of my shallow pool of intellect".

Ouch! I was 15 at the time.

I knew it.......
You stold my file from my old school. I loved it though.....
Ah High school.... The best 9 years of my life

kids today are too sensitive. can't spank, now you can't verbally abuse them

In college I had a prof tell a kid that if he went to the zoo and got a monkey to take his test for him the monkey would do better.......this in front of the entire class.

Pretty funny. The guy didn't think it was though.

Angus In Texas":jgx8hbjh said:

In college I had a prof tell a kid that if he went to the zoo and got a monkey to take his test for him the monkey would do better.......this in front of the entire class.

Haha - Colleges now adays are much more verbally abusive than a highschool could dream of. At the end of the day, it really accomplishes nothing and just causes resentment...

sanchez":3v3ixwru said:
Angus In Texas":3v3ixwru said:

Haha - Colleges now adays are much more verbally abusive than a highschool could dream of. At the end of the day, it really accomplishes nothing and just causes resentment...

I hope that low grades feel worse than a good butt chewin.

Avalon":2xxped3l said:
sanchez":2xxped3l said:
Angus In Texas":2xxped3l said:

I hope that low grades feel worse than a good butt chewin.

Definitely. But I don't think in the world of college, pulling a student out and publicly humiliating him/her accomplishes anything. The kid will have more resentment for the subject, the course, and the professor.

Why are you against no child left behind? What the law says is that the state is to set standards and the teachers need to teach these standards, and at end of the year there will be a test to make sure the teacher taught the standards and the students learned them. If a school can't make academic gains each year, then the administrators aren't doing their jobs, the teachers aren't teaching the students effectively and something needs to change to improve the learning at that school - for the benefit of the students.

Rangenerd":37rre2yw said:
Why are you against no child left behind? What the law says is that the state is to set standards and the teachers need to teach these standards, and at end of the year there will be a test to make sure the teacher taught the standards and the students learned them. If a school can't make academic gains each year, then the administrators aren't doing their jobs, the teachers aren't teaching the students effectively and something needs to change to improve the learning at that school - for the benefit of the students.

A lot of folks don't want the teachers teaching students so they can pass the test and take away from art and other subjects like art and choir. Some people don't want any standard. So students can learn other things besides math, reading and writing. Like art and choir and other things that are real important. Not to mention some kids don't do well on tests. Life has no test after school right. A test is not a measure of what one has learned is it. Some students are smart but just dont do well on tests. Its not like you have to take an interview to get a job. An interview is nothing like a test. Having standard tests for our students is ridiculous. We should just let them be kids for as long as possible, give them a diploma and hope for the best.

Walt

Rangenerd":1af2qpye said:

NCLB pushes the curve in learning downwards - to the level of the lowest academic performance. Dumbing down is what we call it. The middle and higher performing students suffer for it, unless they are in a GT program.

I've always wondered, why don't they try separating children by the way they learn - some learn visually, some orally and some hands on. Put them in 3 groups and let them learn the way that comes most naturally for them. I would like to see what would happen.

Rangenerd":1hv9a4s1 said:

Granted there are some good things about No Child Left Behind but not all is good.

To illustrate the point let me put it in cattle terms. You manage a feedlot and do not have control over the breed of cattle fed nor the quality of the cattle. Your boss (owner) tells you that you must increase feed efficiency and weight gain in cattle by a certain percent each year. Ok

so you set to work developing new strategies including vacinations, medicines, new feed formulas etc. All goes well for a while you constantly improve on the performance of the cattle in these areas. However, sooner or latter one of two things happens:
1 You get a set of calves that no matter what you do the weight gains and feed conversions are terrible.

2. You reach a plateau and can not get past it, you max out performance.

Sooner or latter genetics and the rule of averages wins.

This is the inevitable flaw of NCLB. Yes it is good it pushes the envelope which is good. But to say that after so many years every student will be at a 100% mastery of the concepts is bogus. The time comes when inprovement again we are talking %'s and numbers just don't work.

The other flaw I have noticed is that there is more and more emphasis put on testing. So the test is all that gets taught.

A flaw seen by an Ag teacher is this, kids in high school have been pushed so much in Algebra and such that they can do it. However, the kicker is when basic principles of Reading a Rule, Fractions, percentages. Basic life skills math you need that were once called consumer math is mind blowing.

Teaching these High School students these principles, after all the hype and push for "achademis", is like teaching a monkey to use toliet paper to wipe with. Doable but difficult because they have been taught that these skills are not important anyway and that any class other than "academics or sports " is a joke and not a real class.

Latest posts