Replacement Retention Review ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Harlan in Beef mag just updated his U.S. cow herd size estimates, projecting cow herd size will peak in 2019. We are wet here and I am seeing increased retention. There are also a few diary operations switching to beef. Seems like beef producers, like most in production Ag, keep increasing output until there is a drought... :cowboy:

Sold my 2017 steers but still have a pen full of heifers. What do you see in your area?

Mostly grain farmers here with beef cows on side. I'm seeing less retention to offset low price of grain. Couple of the bigger herds that run good bull power and do some AI work kept 10% or less back.

We did as always. Kept all of them but the absolute junkers.

I see a lot of retention and expansion going on around here in beef cattle. Our only chance is new markets or an increase in market share globally. Like it or not we are the US of A, and the largest consumers in the world. All we need to do is force our trade partners to eat more US beef, and pay up.

True Grit Farms":2ebt5qax said:
I see a lot of retention and expansion going on around here in beef cattle. Our only chance is new markets or an increase in market share globally.

The pork guys seem to have exporting figured out. Any Asian market for sweet & sour beef?

Stocker Steve":uxzgawat said:
True Grit Farms":uxzgawat said:
I see a lot of retention and expansion going on around here in beef cattle. Our only chance is new markets or an increase in market share globally.

The pork guys seem to have exporting figured out. Any Asian market for sweet & sour beef?
Very true, and the largest klan in the world don't eat pork. Endless opportunity for beef.

Stocker Steve":16dwkeq5 said:
Harlan in Beef mag just updated his U.S. cow herd size estimates, projecting cow herd size will peak in 2019. We are wet here and I am seeing increased retention. There are also a few diary operations switching to beef. Seems like beef producers, like most in production Ag, keep increasing output until there is a drought... :cowboy:

Sold my 2017 steers but still have a pen full of heifers. What do you see in your area?

Yep. Sitting on twice the number of 2017 heifers as we typically keep. Had more heifers than usual and didnt help they are as nice as we have ever had in past years. Waiting on spring to make some moves. Probably like a whole lot of other guys.

Stocker Steve":22ptb1c4 said:
Heifer calf demand is up here. They were 10 cents or less behind steers recently.
Seen that last week too here on Superior (neighbors sold there) and at local barns. Actually set of heifers that runs good bull power and claimed 70% of the heifers in the ring were AI sired brought $1.48 @ 816#. Same mans steers brought $142.25 @ 960#.

Neighbors sold on Superior for this coming week delivery 750 # steers brought $1.45, 740# heifers $1.44.

I know for a fact both semi loads of these cattle went to a slat barn to be sent to market. Neighbors been buying cows but good ones and awfully good money one Red Angus bulls and every heifer went to town. AI sired set I talked about there he only retained 10 head on 125 head herd of cows.

Latest posts