Replacement heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

trin

Reaction score
Plan to breed my cross bred cows to get some good replacement heifers. I want them to mature to 1100-1200 lb cows and be tuff cows that can make it without much help. I also would like them to be able to come in heat at 14 months old. My question is would you use Beefmaster, braunvieh, or Saler Semen to produce good replacements.

If it was here, I'd use beefmaster...in Kentucky I'd go with the braunvieh... Though it wouldn't be my ""personal"" choice...what is the general makeup of your crossbreds??

Anything with Brahman in it MAY NOT come in heat by 14 months old, some will but some won't.
just my 2 cents.

Earliest-maturing heifers here, have been, year-in/year-out, Simmental-sired - often in heat by 6-7 months of age. 0
Have had a hard time getting high% Angus heifers to cycle by 15-16 months.
First Braunvieh-cross heifers in our herd are just now 14 months... have not seen them in heat yet... but we've made the decision to hold ALL our heifers 'til they're around 18 months to begin breeding... gives them a tick more frame, and seems like fewer of them have difficulty breeding back while raising their first calf.
Have no recent experience with Salers; in the past, bad temperament was an issue. Breeders may have addressed that issue... I dunno.
Depending on where you're located, the Brahman influence from the Beefmaster deal may or may not be a positive. I've seen some BMxAN heifers at select heifer sales here in KY... and they looked fabulous... I doubt the 1/4 Brahman blood would have any negative repercussions, and bred to non-Brahman terminal bulls, I'll bet their calves will mash the scales.

I'd say a brangus or a simmi bull for good quality replacement heifers in kentucky. Here in MS I'd use a brahman, brangus, or some other bull with brahman influence.

Lucky P here myself and most I talk too have straight Angus heifers cycling by 7 months on a regular basis. Most of us lute every Angus heifer we wean. Had a man who works at a large auction and works with the vet state that they see a lot of bred Angus heifers before they are 8 months old. Maybe the environment makes a differnce.

Jdwest":2cxck3nx said:
8 month old bred heifer would scare me to death
JD it is nothing we plan and why we try to lute every heifer we wean. Last year I weaned 4 heifers and was out of lute and didn't realize it. So thought I would lute them later. Never happened. In April we had two heifers calve. One we saved the calf and the other we didn't. Luckily we saved both heifers. This summer we had a heifer we knew the age of cycling at 6 months. Yes it scares me and why I lute every weaned PB Angus heifer.

elkwc":1bnsl4w6 said:
Jdwest":1bnsl4w6 said:
8 month old bred heifer would scare me to death
JD it is nothing we plan and why we try to lute every heifer we wean. Last year I weaned 4 heifers and was out of lute and didn't realize it. So thought I would lute them later. Never happened. In April we had two heifers calve. One we saved the calf and the other we didn't. Luckily we saved both heifers. This summer we had a heifer we knew the age of cycling at 6 months. Yes it scares me and why I lute every weaned PB Angus heifer.
I don't blame you for luting every PB angus heifer if you have them cycling that young.

Muddy":2ajppm5f said:
What's in your crossbred cows?
They are a little everything. Stockyard specials few longhorn cross. Few small 1100 lb cows. Really like Beefmaster just worry about them coming into heat and really would like to keep them at no more then 1200lbs.

trin":2om3agig said:
Muddy":2om3agig said:
What's in your crossbred cows?
They are a little everything. Stockyard specials few longhorn cross. Few small 1100 lb cows. Really like Beefmaster just worry about them coming into heat and really would like to keep them at no more then 1200lbs.
Early maturity is a beefmaster trait...the longhorn might knock that in the head though.. you pick the right BM bull...deep,soggy, good boned..will make a good moma maker...don't just run out and grab the first one you see..deal with a good cow man.. That knows what his cattle can do for you...

On the Salers, I've *heard* that they've come a long way in temperament... They are known to be protective mothers though, and "one man cows"... It does depend a lot on the herd they come from, and on the individuals too.. My highest percentage remaining Saler cows (4 of them at 25%) are the most people loving and friendly of the herd.. go figure!
Salers take a bit of good food and time to really show their potential, but we never had trouble breeding them by 14-15 months.. They are definitely GREAT for calving ease and will usually improve udders and legs

My last 1/2 Saler cow (Herf other half) at 15

Her shorthorn sired daughter with Gelbvieh sired grandddaughter.. Both are excellent cows.

Bonsmara are an excellent composite for standardising a crossbred herd, choose from a herd breeding heifers of the age you require, as they mature between 12 and 18 months depending on the herd, some of the high performance herds have sacrificed early breeding for higher feedlot performance. The Thornbush Bonsmara herd in Alberta are proof they are adaptable to colder climates being based on African Zebu and not Indicus. http://sangacattle.webs.com/apps/photos ... id=8986914

Nesikep":36enlz2r said:
Salers take a bit of good food and time to really show their potential, but we never had trouble breeding them by 14-15 months.. They are definitely GREAT for calving ease and will usually improve udders and legs

Why did you not go back to a Saler bull?

trin":1cp7k4ph said:
Plan to breed my cross bred cows to get some good replacement heifers. I want them to mature to 1100-1200 lb cows and be tuff cows that can make it without much help. I also would like them to be able to come in heat at 14 months old. My question is would you use Beefmaster, braunvieh, or Saler Semen to produce good replacements.

Any of these 3 breeds will be hard to keep under 1200 lbs.
For a cow that can take care of themselves and raise a good calf Salers'll sure do that.

My Gelbvieh and Balancer heifers are cycling as early as 5 months. We routinely give them a shot of lute when we bangs vaccinate in December