Replacement Heifer Pictures

Help Support CattleToday:

creekdrive

Reaction score
Thought I'd share some pics of the Replacement Heifers. Not great pictures but I'm pretty proud of this group. This year we kept back a good portion of the purebred Red & Black Angus heifers. Only keeping 6 commercial heifers. The plan is to sell some of the purebreds as bred heifers down the road. Our crossbred heifers will sell better than the purebreds right now the way the market is so it makes more sense to let them go and keep the purebreds at home. It kills me to let some of those commercial heifers go though as I know they would make great cows.

Most of these were weaned over the course of this last week, some just last night so they are still bawling some.
IMG_3656sm_zpshh1bltrl.jpg

IMG_3650sm_zpskw3r2qrn.jpg

They are completely fascinated by the dog.

IMG_3644sm_zpsiusxbi3s.jpg

IMG_3659sm_zpshimd2xzu.jpg

IMG_3667sm-2_zpsuqblbdfi.jpg

IMG_3692sm_zpsskjgedqd.jpg

I'm not sure who enjoys each others company more - the dog or the animals. they sure like following him around.

IMG_3662sm_zpsjdookgju.jpg

IMG_3657sm-2_zpsbl2kwxvp.jpg

Some are content to just lay in the shade.

Didn't weigh any of them, but when we took weights for the reg'd calves a month ago most were over 550 lbs. I'm guessing most of these would be between 575-625 lbs. There's a few younger ones and a couple out of heifers that would be a hair lighter, but not a whole lot. They are pretty even group overall. Quite proud of how they look right now.

Picture of them all around the dog is EXCELLENT!

Looking at the 4th from last picture, your calves are tiny, or your bales are huge :)

My replacements have been weaned for a while, except for 1 (weaning this coming week) because I wanted to milk her momma and make yogurt and didn't have time for that before.. Except for 1 lighter one, I think mine are in the 600's somewhere too

Yea why are your bales all ways so tall and loose looking?
Bunch of nice calves. I like like those baldies too TT.

Kingfisher":tn9nt4zj said:
Yea why are your bales all ways so tall and loose looking?
Bunch of nice calves. I like like those baldies too TT.

I guess because they are soft core bales?? They are 6x6 bales, I believe, so they are big...
You can see the star pattern pretty good in this picture:
IMG_0139sm_zpsmakilbvg.jpg

Nesikep":tn9nt4zj said:
Picture of them all around the dog is EXCELLENT! Looking at the 4th from last picture, your calves are tiny, or your bales are huge
I'm beginning to think the dog thinks he is a bovine....and they are big bales, I guess!

Thanks everyone else for the comments!

Latest posts