Rent-A-Heifer?

Help Support CattleToday:

DRSCfarm

Reaction score
Hey,

I have a question about a situation I am in. In my search for a show heifer, I came across a breeder who would let me rent his heifer for free, show her, then give her back after I am finished (or possibly purchase). Has anyone ever offered this or done this themselves. I am finding the prices of a good show heifer to be quite expensive and this option would be much nicer to my wallet. Not sure what all of his policies are, but this option seems more workable for me right now.

I would do that if I had a bunch of heifers and could make sure I could find you in a few months.........cheap feed......:)

DRSCfarm":3t1bo72f said:
Hey,

I have a question about a situation I am in. In my search for a show heifer, I came across a breeder who would let me rent his heifer for free, show her, then give her back after I am finished (or possibly purchase). Has anyone ever offered this or done this themselves. I am finding the prices of a good show heifer to be quite expensive and this option would be much nicer to my wallet. Not sure what all of his policies are, but this option seems more workable for me right now.
I know a lady who lets kids who can't afford to buy a hfr show hers
they come and work it at her place,and help do some of the other chores around the farm
an in return she feeds the hfr, hauls it to the shows, and gets 1/2 of what the hfr wins
so the person showing it has minimal out of pocket expense

I think it is a good deal all the way around in this situation

My boss lets me borrow one of his heifers to show every year. I do all the work, and pay the trucking to shows and he doesn't ask for anything in return. I asked him if he would like anything, but he said getting his herd name out there is good enough for him.

This breeder also said he wants to get his name out. I will talk with him about how the winnings would be split. It seems like a win/win situation for me and the breeder. I really think this will work out!! Thanks everyone for all your information!!

My family has done it. In fact I've done it with heifers and steers. My step sister showed them and worked with them and I paid for feed with all the sale money from the steer. I let her keep show premiums she won. It worked out pretty good.

But i've seen it fall apart too. Some of the Renters don't like what the Rentee's are doing. Like if a kid wasn't cleaning the stall like it should be, not keeping the calf clean, not showing up to work with it, ect. What you do have to realize is it's not your calf, and the owner does have a say so in what your doing. You also have to realize that if you take a calf that looks bad to a show, not only are you throwing dirt on your own name but on the owners as well.

I have one out right now with a young lady. She picked her up at weaning,205 days. She will feed her for two years, show her this summer as a bred heifer, then show her next summer with a calf at her side. The she keeps the calf and I get my cow back. So far everyone is happy. BTW I am picking the bull and paying for the semen and the AI.

I may be wrong but I'm thinking that it's illegal down here.Thought the kid or at least mom and dad had to prove ownership. Course there is a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes we probably don't know about.

TexasBred":20qx5s3p said:
I may be wrong but I'm thinking that it's illegal down here.Thought the kid or at least mom and dad had to prove ownership. Course there is a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes we probably don't know about.

TB in my case I not only transferred ownership legally and with the GV assn but I also bought her a Junior membership with the GV assn so that she can show her in registered shows in addition to 4H.

It's a win for both of us. I did do one thing though. I do have a postdated signed transfer in my possession,,,just in case.

I will be talking with him Tuesday about the ownership issue. The 2 year option for breeding the heifer and the rentee keeping the calf is an option to think of. I will be asking him if he would be interested in this.

I don't know where you live, but check with the show association that you plan to show the heifer at concerning ownership.

Also, get a contract in writing stating your responsibilities and the owner's responsibilities. Such as who pays vet care (especially in case of an emergency). I don't know if people insure their show cattle, but when I lease a horse, the leaser insures the horse with me as the beneficiary should anything happen.

good luck, I hope that you get a good one : )

Hi, I personally own a registered black angus heifer, and I'm looking to lease her out, I live in Friendswood, Texas, my lease would include that she would be a second year heifer next year, and if I find someone to take her over I will get her artificially inseminated, the person that she is leased to would have to feed, groom, house, etc. At the end of the May 2012 her and her calf would come back to me, I'm a senior in high school and I didn't know about this leasing buisness so I don't exactly want to lose my heifer, Spunky.
Thanks!
Bre

also concerning your problem of ownership, at my ag barn there ARE kids renting or leasing heifers, the person who truely owns the heifer writes a contract and pays for the paperwork to be switched into the kid's name, and when the contract is up the name is switched back over, the livestock shows know and there's nothing they can do about it because it looks like a sell, so no it's not illegal. It is just like all these heifers that have had their birthdate changed on the paperwork, the livestock shows don't have any proof.

For me, it would be like a "sale" but he really likes this heifer and would like to have her back as breeding stock once she is done being shown. We do this at horse shows all the time.. switch ownership to the 4Her showing, then switch back after show season is done. Technically it is legal ;-) but it helps a lot of kids who cannot afford their own horse, or in my case a super expensive show heifer. As long as we get all the paper work done, I think it'll be okay.

Thanks again everyone!

Bre, I hope you find someone to lease your heifer. I would advertise to 4H groups and put an ad for her on here. I know I was very grateful that someone is letting me lease one!!

Well I'm pretty sure this type of stuff is frowned upon in Junior Shows. Open shows it doesn't make a difference.

IMO- as long as the Junior Member is doing the work, I could care less if (s)he paid X amount of dollars for the calf because in my opinion they are bartering their time and labor for the price of the calf.

Now where this situation really shows its problem is when you have jocks that bring calves to shows for kids that have never seen let alone worked with the calf before entering the ring. That's wrong, and I think that's what some of these 4-H ownership rules try to prevent.

This has been done with the hog folks for many years. All I can say is to be careful cause I've seen a few train wrecks out of a lease.

Last year we didn't have a heifer so we borrowed a friends. It went AWFUL. Two weeks before the big show she got a massive case of warts unexpectedly. Then her hair started falling out rapidly, even though she was under 4 fans all day long. All in all she didn't even go to the show we were planning to take her to and the owner wasn't too pleased with us. I don't know if it was just bad luck or a fluke. Hope I'm not haunting anyone from the horror story lol but for me I have to say NEVER AGAIN.
Good luck! :banana: