Renovating

Help Support CattleToday:

sidney411

Reaction score
When and how often do you renovate your pasture, hay fields? We bought a 9 shank hay king last year but didn't use it since it was so dry. I was plann9ing on using now that we have some good rains. But, not sure when would be the best time, before the grass really starts to grow in the spring or after it gets started?

I would think that now would be a good time if it is dry enough to pull it. I have been thinking that I would like to have one of those for pasture and hay ground. Please keep us posted on how well it does for you. I know that the so called "Educated authorities" say that it is not cost effective but I would like an opinion from a user.

sidney411":10sxb3jk said:
When and how often do you renovate your pasture, hay fields? We bought a 9 shank hay king last year but didn't use it since it was so dry. I was plann9ing on using now that we have some good rains. But, not sure when would be the best time, before the grass really starts to grow in the spring or after it gets started?
the best time to renovate your pastures an hay medows is march or aspril/loosen the ground up so you can catch the spring rains.an the ground can store up mosture.renovating will also help your grass spread.

Cabo":ekw8by9a said:
I would think that now would be a good time if it is dry enough to pull it. I have been thinking that I would like to have one of those for pasture and hay ground. Please keep us posted on how well it does for you. I know that the so called "Educated authorities" say that it is not cost effective but I would like an opinion from a user.

I have never heard that it was not cost effective but just the opposite. Maybe depends on where you live. I make money on every drop of water I can conserve. And it sure improves the growth. When my brother did his it was better than fert. , and he had grass come up where he had not seen it in years.
Soil gets to tight, need to break it up for airation and root growth as well as letting the water in or cracking up and letting water out.
The same reasons farmers plow there fields befoe puttting in a crop.

Compaction can be a major deterent for plant root depth depending on the type soil you have.

Breaking up the "hardpan" is the main benefit, and allowing the roots to grow deeper. Water retention helps too.

In a deep sandy based soil area it may not be much of an asset to subsoil/chisel a pasture, but when there is a hardpan in the clay type soils (which compact easier because of the finer particles) it could definitely help.

A normal "perk" test at different depths will tell you whether you need to subsoil or not.

Putting down Calcium Sulfate (Gypsum) can help with compaction also.

Latest posts