Removing hide from skull

Help Support CattleToday:

bandit80

Reaction score
Anyone have a sure fire method of removing the hide, meat, brains, etc. from a steer head??

Kept a spring 2007 calf to butcher, and one of the main reasons I kept this one was because he was horned. Only horned calf I had. Anyway, I want to get the skull clean and use it for a decoration for the bar area in my basement when I finish it. Do I just leave it out in the pasture or what?

Thanks for the suggestions Jo and C.

I don't know if the European mount is worth all the effort. Sounds like a lot of work, and not sure when I would make the time for it. I think the idea of leaving it in the pasture for a year sounds pretty good.

Just put it on an ant hill, it will be cleaned in no time (If some varmint doesn't drag it off)

chained mine to a post, gotta watch the dogs and yotes though as they will crunch the nasal bones and eye sockets out of it. left it out there til it was good and white. they do suggest you get a big kettle and boil them now a days before you do anything with them. doesnt hurt. I painted a picture on mine and sanded the horns nice and smooth and then sprayed clear coat over it all. oh yeah, watch the horns will pop right off of the bone underneath and the critters will carry them off.

wire it to a post or tree and put the skull down in a pond or river and the little minnows and fish will pick it clean in about 45 days.Then take it out and pressure wash it and lay out on top of a barn or shed roof,the sun will bleach it white in no time. I have done both cow and deer skulls this way. Works great and quicker than an ant hill.

Cal

Do ya'll have fire ants? Throw it on top of the biggest mound you can find. The only problem is fighting them for the skull.

Tod Dague":iotezezb said:
Do ya'll have fire ants? Throw it on top of the biggest mound you can find. The only problem is fighting them for the skull.

If they don't have any I can send them some. :???:

I did a european mount a couple of times. Just skin the hide off of the head. Cut off the back of the skull remove the brains. Boil it. I can't remember what I sprayed on it afterwards to make it really white.

Only thing I can tell you about it is don't do it while pregnant. :nod: :secret: :drink:

Boil the skull til the horns loosen up and then pop them off. After you get all the meat off you can make a paste of 40% peroxide(from your local hairdresser) and something else which I can't remember and let it set until it dries. Then brush off the powdered peroxide and yer done.

If I can remember what to use to make the paste I'll post it here. Might be baking soda I'm just not sure.

Just a tip. Don't boil it too long or the connective tissue in the skull will all come out and it will fall apart.

Latest posts