Remember the old days of deer hunting?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
No cover scents, no attractants, no fancy stands, no trail cameras. Sitting on a board, in the fork of a tree. Just a recurve bow, and a glue on broad head. It's gonna be cold here Saturday morning. I hadn't hunted in years. It'd be nice to stick a fat doe about 30 minutes after daylight Saturday. The way we used to of course. I'll probably winterize some equipment instead, just thought I'd reminisce a while.

Killed my first deer almost 50 years ago with a recurve bow. But I was using a cover scent and hunting over bait. I used wild oranges as a cover scent, and was hunting a turkey oak that had been fertilized with fish heads. I was blessed that I had a Grandpa that knew how to hunt and fish.

Lawn chair 10 feet off the trail, and it was a toss up who would be the most surprised. Didn't have the population for succesful archery hunting for a while.

Not exactly sure why I lost my interest in hunting. Maybe I got too busy, or the challenge wasn't there anymore? I just know, watching my son shoot a bow yesterday, made me want to take another stab at it.

Bigfoot":1i3l74le said:
Not exactly sure why I lost my interest in hunting. Maybe I got too busy, or the challenge wasn't there anymore? I just know, watching my son shoot a bow yesterday, made me want to take another stab at it.

I belong to a lease, but haven't taken a gun (or even bought a license) in years. I enjoy going out there to eat, drink, play cards, and tell lies (I mean share true stories) with friends.

I never have used scents, bait, or a tree stand. The trail camera has never been set in the areas I hunt. Two weeks from Saturday hike out across the canyon before day light. At daylight I will start slowly working my way down the west edge of the canyon. There is several thousand acres for me to explore. I will see deer. Probably even see bucks. I know there is one massive 4 point that I would shoot. There is also a crippled 3 point that I would shoot if I see him. Other than that the deer are safe from me. But there is something about a crisp fall morning that makes me want to pick up my rifle and go move slowly and quietly through the sage brush.

I remember when a good year hunting was to see three deer and heaven forbid you shoot a doe.

I cut my teeth using a Baker one piece climber or if I wasn't feeling brave I'd sit on a limb. Don't know if any of you have used a Baker but it should have been called the Widow-Maker.

My cover scent was always a fresh cow pie. Free and it worked. I quit about 15 years ago when I started thinking of how much work I could get done instead of waiting on a stupid deer. My attitude is slowly switching to "there will be plenty to do after I am dead and gone" as I age. Maybe it is about time to dig the old Marlin back out of the safe.

Jogeephus":1odqy3fz said:
I remember when a good year hunting was to see three deer and heaven forbid you shoot a doe.

I cut my teeth using a Baker one piece climber or if I wasn't feeling brave I'd sit on a limb. Don't know if any of you have used a Baker but it should have been called the Widow-Maker.

I started hunting deer in the mid-70's. There were darn few in Tennessee at that time. I shot my first at 6 or 7 years old using an old Remington 742 Woodmaster in 6mm Remington. Seemed that all I needed was some old coveralls, old galosh boot covers and a stump to set on. Started bow hunting with an old Indian compound back in the early 80's. Killed my first archery deer with that old rag-tag bow. And Jo......yes I have used a Baker and also the old TSS Bushwacker. Both have nearly killed me several times. Wouldn't climb in one now for nothing. Now I have summit climbers, Matthews bows, mossy oak camo, range finders, game cameras etc. I am more comfortable, see more deer and shoot bigger bucks than before but I am not sure my heart beats as fast or my knees shake as much as then :lol2:

I don't buy in to todays fads and newest gadgets. I still bow hunt with a pearson compound I bought used in 1989. been wearing the same coveralls since the 90s I hunt often in jeans or overalls. Still use a 30-30 I killed first deer with sometimes. been shooting my browning lever since 95. cover scents I will use from time to time. doe piss, skunk piss and fox piss. best this Ive tried that was new several yrs ago was my thermo cell.

Haven't hunted in quite a few years but walked out Saturday morning and had a big fax axis deer in the pasture. She was standing there and a heifer was licking on her. She wasn't really wild at all. Last time I saw her the cows were chasing her and she acted like didn't know how to go under or over the fence. Another escapee from a high fence ranch.

Latest posts