Remedies passed down and how they change

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I have to wonder how much info was passed down through the years from Great grand-parents to grand-children. I have heard of some instances where things have been repeated, without questioning it, or why it was done that way. So they always did it like they were taught. It seemed to work.
I think about that subject a lot. Just reading an article in one of the Foxfire books sometimes let you see how things have been passed down. Sometimes the old way was a good way. But with the computer and communication, we find that feeds are better, the availability, treatments for diseases, and genetics to change what we produce. We can reach out to others to see what methods they use and how it worked for them. Things have changed a lot in a few years.

Friend of mine in high school, his mother always cut the end off the roast before she put it in the oven. I asked one day why. She said "that is the way mom always did it, go ask her".

Went to grandma, asked the same question. She said "that is the way mom always did it, go ask her".

At the time my friend was blessed with his great grandmother's company yet. So off we went to ask her why she always cut the ends off the roast before she baked it. Her reply..."I never had a pan big enough".

Just goes to show, sometimes we ought to ask those old wise folks "why" and enjoy the answer.

When my younger sister hosted her first Thanksgiving dinner at her house, I went over early to help cook. She had the turkey in the sink with a dish drainer over it. I asked her what was the deal with the dish drainer. "that's what mom always did..." I told her mom had a cat that get's on the counter tops. She didn't! Mom put the drainer over it to keep the cat out.

Latest posts