Reloading 308

Help Support CattleToday:

CSM

Reaction score
Going to try reloading for Rem 700 24" in 308. I can get 1.5 and less group with Rem Core Lokt 150 grain bullets. Will only be used for whitetail out to 300 yards. What bullets, powder, etc has worked well for you reloaders?
CSM

You can get theRem Core-lokt bullets in bulk from Midway. I tried a lot of different bullets years ago in my old 308 and the Rem bulk bullets were second best only to whatever Federal used to use in their premium grade stuff.

dun":2uh6w450 said:
You can get theRem Core-lokt bullets in bulk from Midway. I tried a lot of different bullets years ago in my old 308 and the Rem bulk bullets were second best only to whatever Federal used to use in their premium grade stuff.

Lookin at the Midway website yesterday, Brass and bullets, EVERYTHING is 'out of stock-NO back order' They had nuthin...Not even the oddball stuff

CSM":112nnpbp said:
Going to try reloading for Rem 700 24" in 308. I can get 1.5 and less group with Rem Core Lokt 150 grain bullets. Will only be used for whitetail out to 300 yards. What bullets, powder, etc has worked well for you reloaders?
CSM

Get a up to date loading manual or three... Start low,work up till Ya find the combo Your gun likes...

That's the fun of handloading tryin diff.powders,primers bullets, Brands of brass, amount of crimp. All kinds of things to play with=Lot's of shootin!

Varget has been used by a lot of shooters with good luck. My 308 shoots well with Varget and Hornady 165. Tac is another popular powder, I used it with Hornady 150's. Both Tac and Varget meter well through a powder measure.

308 is easy to load for. Just don't jump straight to maximum loads, in any rifle. Trying someone on the internet's exact recipe can get you way over pressure in your specific rifle. I know, I tried it! Sometimes , someones quoted powder charge was several full grains too hot in my rifle. You probably new that already, but someone reading this might not have, and could get into trouble. Rifle reloading is not like shotgun, where any published load is safe in any modern shotgun. Rifle loading has a range of loads that were tested in a certain rifle, not yours. Start loads are the place to start, not maximum.

Thanks. I was thinking that Varget would be a good place to start. I will start on the low side with the powder. I am more interested in the accuracy than more power.
CSM

CSM":37bh0h5n said:
CSM

My favorite rifle powder is H4895 you can load so many cartridges with and it
has a very wide safe range in loading for reduced loads as well.

http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Youth%20Loads.pdf

For many years I used Speer or Hornady cup and core bullets and loaded Win 748. Never had a problem with the cup and core style bullets out of a 308.

The materials I use when reloading my .308 ammo may differ from materials used by other people. Thus my process for reloading will be different as well. The materials I use are:

Breech Lock Challenger Press
.308 Sizing and Depriming Die
Number 2 Shell Holder
Premium Sizing Lube
.308 Case Trimmer
Chamfer Tool
Dial Caliper
Primer Pocket Cleaner
Case Tumbler
Tumbler Media
Powder Scale
Charge Tables
Powder Dispenser
Case Holder
.308 Bullet Seating Die
.308 Factory Crimp Die
Large Rifle Primers
Gunpowder
30 cal bullets

Milandrew":mxwrb5ti said:
The materials I use when reloading my .308 ammo may differ from materials used by other people. Thus my process for reloading will be different as well. The materials I use are:

Breech Lock Challenger Press
.308 Sizing and Depriming Die
Number 2 Shell Holder
Premium Sizing Lube
.308 Case Trimmer
Chamfer Tool
Dial Caliper
Primer Pocket Cleaner
Case Tumbler
Tumbler Media
Powder Scale
Charge Tables