Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Non church going christian

• Non religious

• Muslim

• Total voters
I'm always amazed at people's excuses for not going to church. The one I usually hear is "the church is full of hypocrites" argument. My old pastor used to tell people "Yes, but there's always room for one more." It seems that if you attend church you need to be perfect or you are a hypocrite. I think that you should be striving to become more Christ like, it's not something that automatically happens.

I see the "I'm a Christian and that's all that matters" excuse. If I may ask, what does it mean to be a Christian? Is it simply believing that Jesus walked the earth? Also, how do you get to heaven? Do you just have to be a generally nice person? If you agree with those answers maybe instead of just saying you are a Christian and are going to heaven, maybe you should actually open up the bible and read some of the New Testament. Or maybe go to church and ask one of those boring pastors that you hate listening to.

This kind of question usually just asks for trouble. LOL More wars and arguments over religion than there is over pretty girls or land. Best way to mess up a good friendship is talk about religion. Dont expect I'll ever have that problem around these cattle boards. LOL So I dont guess it,ll hurt me to say it...I'm a Christian but i dont believe Ive got to sit in a fancy building on a certain day of the week to prove it. Try to prove it ever day in the way you live your life...help folks without being asked and dont kick a man when hes down...you dont have to be part of any organized group and sit and suffer for an hour listening to a preacher you dont like

I'm always amazed at people's excuses for not going to church. The one I usually hear is "the church is full of hypocrites" argument. My old pastor used to tell people "Yes, but there's always room for one more." It seems that if you attend church you need to be perfect or you are a hypocrite. I think that you should be striving to become more Christ like, it's not something that automatically happens.

I see the "I'm a Christian and that's all that matters" excuse. If I may ask, what does it mean to be a Christian? Is it simply believing that Jesus walked the earth? Also, how do you get to heaven? Do you just have to be a generally nice person? If you agree with those answers maybe instead of just saying you are a Christian and are going to heaven, maybe you should actually open up the bible and read some of the New Testament. Or maybe go to church and ask one of those boring pastors that you hate listening to
I think a scrap a brewin' here. :roll:

ChrisB":1p5e7yfw said:

I see the "I'm a Christian and that's all that matters" excuse. If I may ask, what does it mean to be a Christian? Is it simply believing that Jesus walked the earth? Also, how do you get to heaven? Do you just have to be a generally nice person? If you agree with those answers maybe instead of just saying you are a Christian and are going to heaven, maybe you should actually open up the bible and read some of the New Testament. Or maybe go to church and ask one of those boring pastors that you hate listening to.

The 10 Commandments were not meant as a "pick and choose". People tend to forget about "Keep Holy the Sabboth Day".

Keep Holy the Sabboth Day".

I always read that as'Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy'
I've also been corrected by some of these church goers as to whether lying is against the Ten Commandments. The Commandment says' Thou shalt not bear false witness'. So apparently, I've been told, that only includes lying if someone's life or future is at stake. The other lies you tell don't count. Some people justify their lives in interesting ways.

Cattle Rack Rancher":15xhegp7 said:
Keep Holy the Sabboth Day".

I always read that as'Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy'
I've also been corrected by some of these church goers as to whether lying is against the Ten Commandments. The Commandment says' Thou shalt not bear false witness'. So apparently, I've been told, that only includes lying if someone's life or future is at stake. The other lies you tell don't count. Some people justify their lives in interesting ways.

So...... are you saying that because my choice of words and your choice of word (which both mean the exact same thing) are different then I'm a liar? :?:

So...... are you saying that because my choice of words and your choice of word (which both mean the exact same thing) are different then I'm a liar?

I wasn't saying that at all. What I was saying is that some people seem to interpret the'Ten Commandmants' very loosely. BTW, you are just way too defensive.

Cattle Rack Rancher":2zz93p0j said:
So...... are you saying that because my choice of words and your choice of word (which both mean the exact same thing) are different then I'm a liar?

I wasn't saying that at all. What I was saying is that some people seem to interpret the'Ten Commandmants' very loosely. BTW, you are just way too defensive.

I know I know I know. Sorry. Just checking.

Craig-TX":pk8i1iz6 said:
No denominations in heaven. The main thing is that any true believer in Jesus Christ is a brother/sister to any other true believer.

Craig-TX

I agree Craig.

Non-denominational here. I don't claim to be any religion or denomination, just a Christian.

King James
Mat. 7:21-23

21 ¶ Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

;-)

I didn't answer your poll because Evangelical wasn't up there. I go to an Evangelical Free church and I love going on Sundays. I am not able to go much during calving and I miss it horribly.

Don't get me wrong - I love worshipping God outside. All of my cows know many great Christian songs, but there is something about getting together with fellow Christians and learning about God. Paul tells us in the New Testament not to quit meeting together. Church is important to grow and fellowship.

Nicky Gumbel (sp?) said something great about that he talked about coals in a fire - when they are in the fire they are hot and glow brightly, taken out of the fire they get cold and lose their light. Christians are coals - the church (the fellowship) is the fire.:)

ChrisB":i5twpkmy said:

Very well put, just professing to be a christian won't get your ticket punched. It is stated in the New testament that you will gather and worship. read Pauls letters to Philippians. The road is straight and narrow you don't get to pick and chose.

Ordained conservative Pentecostal minister. There's a lot I'd like to add to this conversation, but I guess this is not necessarily the forum for it. I will say that most of the preachers I'm acquainted with are not boring.

I'm not trying to condemn anyone, but the apostle did write, "Forsake not the assembling of yourselves together, and so much the more as you see the day approaching." I believe I quoted that correctly. Jesus stated that he was the only way to heaven. You either believe that, or you believe he was a liar. I'd best hush before I offend anyone. Take Care, all.

BTW, Camp, one of my Grandpas was raised Church of Christ, in the "Mt. Judy" Ark. area. Two good friends are Church of Christ, one of them a Hereford breeder and a minister!

Greenwillowhereford wrote

Ordained conservative Pentecostal minister. There's a lot I'd like to add to this conversation, but I guess this is not necessarily the forum for it. I will say that most of the preachers I'm acquainted with are not boring.

It is good to see Ministers in the cattle biz. I too am an Ordained conservative Minister and enjoy cattle raising. It seem to calm in a time of much stress in the world. I try to use the farm or ranch? to help children in crisis. amazing what GOD can do if we are willing.

I read Max Lucado some. He is IMO the best modern author. The best of all IMO are F.W. Boreham, Clarence McCartney, Clovis Chapell, and several others from years ago.

Cowspider, I agree. There is something relaxing about watching cattle do what they were created to do. BTW, how did you think up the name "Cowspider?"

I really enjoy Max Lucado too. I think my favourite of his was He Chose The Nails, that was an excellent book. Charles Swindoll and Randy Alcorn are favourites of mine.

I must say I have never heard of the other authors you mentioned but then I have only been reading Christian books for the last five or six years.

Latest posts