Religion

Help Support CattleToday:

OwnedByTheCow

Reaction score
So recently I've been at points where I have been seriously thinking about my religion.
My parents aren't religious but I try to be as much as possible. My parents don't bring me to church or pray or do anything of that sort. For a year my mom brought me to church just so I could be confirmed into the faith but after, it sort of stopped. I've tried to learn and still remain loyal as much as I know how but I really have never been taught a lot. I pray and all that stuff when I think about it but then again I've never really been shown how to. Lately I've been at some point where I really don't know what to say.
So I have a couple questions to sort of help my curiosity. How do you think your religion affects your farm? How does your farm effect your religion? :help:

There is no way right way or wrong way to pray just as there is no right way to talk to your father. That's between you and him and what works for you.

As to how it affects my farm; to put it simply, I will treat my customers just as I would want them to treat me if our roles were reversed.

OwnedByTheCow":2lqfjryn said:
How do you think your religion affects your farm? How does your farm effect your religion? :help:

We reap what we sow. I think that pretty much covers it going both directions

The only requirement for prayer is that it has to come from the heart. Sincerely. If you don't mean it, you are wasting your time. And you need to talk to God regularly. Not just when you need or want something. Other than that, I'm with Jogeephus.

As far as how it affects your farm... The two posts above are right. I will add that when you have true faith and realize you're not the one in control, you wont worry as much about things such as prices, weather, etc. because you have faith.

I agree with the other posts. Prayer is between you and God. Prayer is an important part of my life. I do not think I could make it, if I did not have my faith in God. I like to think that God walks with me and talks to me as I travel down this hard road of life.
I was brought up in the church. That is all that I have ever known. My parents' faith was very strong, especially my mother's. I am truly thankful for growing up in a Christian home.
About the farm, without faith I would have long ago thrown up my hands and quit. I know God owns the cattle on a thousand hills. So all of mine belong to him. I just take care of them. He sends the sunshine and the rain. I put my trust in Him and turn my worries over to Him.
When troubles would come and we had too much rain or not enough, Mama would always say,"It is out of our hands. God knows what is best." I had to think of that this afternoon as I looked at my pastures covered in water and cows hardly able to walk up to the lot it was raining so hard. It is all in His hands not mine.

Prayer is about a relationship, not words. If there is no relationship there is rebellion.

Whatever material things we have are ours to manage. We are stewards. We should manage as the scriptures teach first, not how we think, or the neighbors, or the TV or govt. says. When our appointed time come to face our Christ our hope is, He says: "Well done my good and faithful servant."

How does that relationship affect farming? It's like all of life. We get what we sow, more then we sow, latter then we sow.

Just a question....do you read the Bible? Now I have to be truthful and say that I'm not an avid reader...Can't quote much scripture nor verse. But I have was reared in the church, went to Sunday School, heard and pretty well know the stories in the Bible. I backslid for quite a while. I am once again going to Church and Sunday School regularly.

Their are good people that aren't religious and religious people that aren't necessarily good or nice people. I am not one to go out and give a testimonial. I generally keep my faith pretty much to myself. I listen. You might be surprised what you hear when you just listen. About 5 years ago I was at a "crossroad" in my life. Pretty much asked the Lord if the life I was living was all I had to look forward to, to just let it all end now....thankfully he :D once again said NO....but I was ready to "listen" and take the steps to change my way and my plans, to his.....

Prayer? The Bible addresses that in several ways if I'm not mistaken. It may be why I enjoy tractor work so much. Lots of time to commune, seek guidence, to think.... and listen.

Have you seen the movie War Room? Pretty powerful statement for prayer.....but I'm one to believe it takes more than JUST prayer. Just the fact that you are asking is a step in the right direction. Keep searching. "Seek and ye shall find".

Yeah, I'm old school King James Version. :lol2:

1982vett said:
Just a question....do you read the Bible? Now I have to be truthful and say that I'm not an avid reader...Can't quote much scripture nor verse. But I have was reared in the church, went to Sunday School, heard and pretty well know the stories in the Bible. I backslid for quite a while. I am once again going to Church and Sunday School regularly.

Their are good people that aren't religious and religious people that aren't necessarily good or nice people. I am not one to go out and give a testimonial. I generally keep my faith pretty much to myself. I listen. You might be surprised what you hear when you just listen. About 5 years ago I was at a "crossroad" in my life. Pretty much asked the Lord if the life I was living was all I had to look forward to, to just let it all end now....thankfully he :D once again said NO....but I was ready to "listen" and take the steps to change my way and my plans, to his.....

Prayer? The Bible addresses that in several ways if I'm not mistaken. It may be why I enjoy tractor work so much. Lots of time to commune, seek guidence, to think.... and listen.

Have you seen the movie War Room? Pretty powerful statement for prayer.....but I'm one to believe it takes more than JUST prayer. Just the fact that you are asking is a step in the right direction. Keep searching. "Seek and ye shall find".

Yeah, I'm old school King James Version :lol2:

Nothing wrong with that. As far as I'm concerned that's the only version that exists. Good post. I too like my tractor time. And fishing and hunting time. For the same reason as you. With that said, I should spend a lot more time doing these things as well as reading my Bible.

1982vett":1odixp5d said:

Knowing the Bible is one thing...knowing its author is another.

This is a pretty marginal "No religion allowed" thread. I think as long as it doesn;t get to sniping or arguing it will probably be allowed to stay.

There's quite a few opinions on this subject. I've struggled with it my entire life. I try to be the best person I can.

ohiosteve":3ayjz0an said:
There's quite a few opinions on this subject. I've struggled with it my entire life. I try to be the best person I can.

Think about it like this. I believe God is real. If I'm right, then I'm gonna have eternal life. If I'm wrong, then I'm just gonna be dead. BUT, if a non believer is wrong, then there's gonna be he!! to pay. I'm not prepared to take that chance. Just my :2cents:

HOPE I DONT GET THIS ONE LOCKED. I just thought I needed to say that.

JMJ Farms":2rzqzy9y said:
ohiosteve":2rzqzy9y said:

Think about it like this. I believe God is real. If I'm right, then I'm gonna have eternal life. If I'm wrong, then I'm just gonna be dead. BUT, if a non believer is wrong, then there's gonna be he!! to pay. I'm not prepared to take that chance. Just my :2cents:

HOPE I DONT GET THIS ONE LOCKED. I just thought I needed to say that.
I feel almost the same exact way JMJ.

I believe my relationship with God effects how I treat and handle my cattle. I take the Bible literally. It tells us that we have dominion over the animals just as Adam did in Eden. With dominion comes responsibility. I take that responsibility very seriously. I also believe that because of my relationship with God I have more patience with both cattle and people. As others have pointed out that they apply biblical principles to their life. Such as to do unto others as you would have do unto you. I try my best to apply biblical principles to my life and that helps in every aspect of my life including the farm.

Religion is about your personal relationship with God. It's good that you're seeking advice but He will reveal things to you in His time. :D This discussion might lead to it or you might not find anything that helps but when you see the truth you'll know it for what it is and you'll understand that you don't dare do it any other way.
In my farm life My faith guided me to the decision to sell everything, move halfway across the country and start over doing only certain parts of what I was doing before. I didn't have a choice. Once the idea to do so was put in my head I saw sign after sign that told me "this is where I want you to be and this is what I want you to be doing" complete with it jumping out of the Bible at me in scripture. :lol:
If you don't currently have access to a bible let me know and I'll be more than happy to send you one to help you get started.

There's never a bad time to pray. You can be in a prayerful mood all the time and you can live your faith all the time if you allow it to become your 1st nature and not something special you do one day a week. I know I fail miserably but hardly a second goes by that I'm not aware that my Father is with me leading, guiding and encouraging. Unfortunately I don't always follow.

since nobody else has mentioned it, i will. when Jesus walked this earth, he gave us instruction on how to pray. it's located in the Gospel Record of Matthew 6:9-13.

another of Jesus' own prayers - John 17

bottom line, thank Him for what you Have, ask Him for the help you need, and ask Him to forgive what you've done wrong. there is no wrong or right way.

To take a step closer to God, is for him to take one step closer to you. If you truly seek God, then search for him. He can be found in prayer, bible study, church services etc.

To know God is one feeling. To share God is a totally different feeling I would encourage you to share him with others.

Latest posts