Registered Hereford

Help Support CattleToday:

Hereford/Pinz Guy

Reaction score
Hey!

I am new to this board and new to the cattle industry. I am looking into Registered Herefords. What I would like to know is what cost am I looking at for a Registered Hereford and a "borrowed" bull. Also how much would it cost to house this heifer each year (food and everything). I have a place to keep them, but I guess I just want to know what the money is gonna need. ;-)

Thanks!

Roger

Hereford/Pinz Guy":2z6rms7l said:
Hey!

I am new to this board and new to the cattle industry. I am looking into Registered Herefords. What I would like to know is what cost am I looking at for a Registered Hereford and a "borrowed" bull. Also how much would it cost to house this heifer each year (food and everything). I have a place to keep them, but I guess I just want to know what the money is gonna need. ;-)

Thanks!

Roger

Hi Roger,

There is no way anyone can definitely answer your questions because there are just too many variables involved. The price of the heifer/cow is going to fluctuate according to bloodlines, quality, age, whether bred or not, etc. As far as feed goes, it depends on what you're planning on feeding, whether she is on pasture or in a dry lot situation, drought, hail, crop prices which will affect feed prices, your long term goals (feeders are fed differently than dry cows which are fed differently than bred cows which are fed differently than lactating cows) etc. You're best bet as far as feed would be to go visit your county extension office, make a few trips around to experienced ranchers in your area and see what they are doing and go from there with phone calls to local feed stores. As far as price, the county extension office can give you a ball park figure once you determine what you want to do with these animals, but you also need to be reading registered papers and advertisements, hang out at production sales and dispersal sales, and talk to people with the kind of animal you want to buy and see what they are asking. I don't mean to be negative, but there are a lot of variables involved with what you're wanting to do.