registered cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

smallrancher

Reaction score
Hi guys, thinking of getting a few registered cattle, and I'm curious as to what is required for records. Do you have to get weights on all cattle,(calves at weaning) or is that not a requirement? Also, I take it you have to get semen certificates from the studs in order to register? Thanks for the help, not at all new to cattle, just the registered business.

Every breed has their own rules. Many are very similar in some regards but also some big differences. Should be able to get a copy of the Rules for registry off the web site of any breed(s) you are interested in.

Edited to add - if you post the breed or breeds you want to get into, then the ones here who have first-hand experience with that breed can help you better.

most all breeds have weights an measures.an thats getting a BW a 205 day weight an a 365 day weight.the yearling weight can be taken between 330 an 405 days.im in the process of getting a squeeze chute an scales as soon as i can.because i want to know the weaning an yearling weights on my reg cattle.you need a good pc program to keep records on your reg cattle.i use cattlemax an does exactly what i need.

The 2 most important weights are birth and weaning. Heifers are about the only thing that you would regularly get yearling weights on.

smallrancher":iwtlk69d said:
Hi guys, thinking of getting a few registered cattle, and I'm curious as to what is required for records. Do you have to get weights on all cattle,(calves at weaning) or is that not a requirement? Also, I take it you have to get semen certificates from the studs in order to register? Thanks for the help, not at all new to cattle, just the registered business.

As has been said, each breed has their own requirements. In Angus, there's no requirement for reporting weights on calves. But you won't be able to maintain EPDs on your cattle if you don't. If you AI to someone else's bull, you must get an AI cert or permission from the owner of the bull to register the calf.

Frankie":kzhy223m said:
smallrancher":kzhy223m said:

As has been said, each breed has their own requirements. In Angus, there's no requirement for reporting weights on calves. But you won't be able to maintain EPDs on your cattle if you don't. If you AI to someone else's bull, you must get an AI cert or permission from the owner of the bull to register the calf.

Can I just use my neighbor's each time he roams in?

backhoeboogie":1dvb7wli said:
Frankie":1dvb7wli said:
smallrancher":1dvb7wli said:

Can I just use my neighbor's each time he roams in?

That's between you, your neighbor and the bull. :) But if you try to register calves with the AAA, sired by a bull that you don't own, they'll require some sort of permit signed/approved by the bull owner.

Frankie":3oq7ug1h said:
That's between you, your neighbor and the bull. :) But if you try to register calves with the AAA, sired by a bull that you don't own, they'll require some sort of permit signed/approved by the bull owner.

His bull bred a bunch of very young heifers - again. Not mine this time.

tncattle467":nvbbr43l said:
bigbull338":nvbbr43l said:
most all breeds have weights an measures.an thats getting a BW a 205 day weight an a 365 day weight.the yearling weight can be taken between 330 an 405 days.im in the process of getting a squeeze chute an scales as soon as i can.because i want to know the weaning an yearling weights on my reg cattle.you need a good pc program to keep records on your reg cattle.i use cattlemax an does exactly what i need.

Non sense, I have registered and commercial cows and I use a non sophisticated program called Microsoft Excel and put em all in a spread sheet.

I agree with BB in that a purchased computer program is a big help. I use Cattlemax also and once you figure it out it is amazing what it will tell you. As far as weaning weights, it is fairly difficult for the average person to write in Excel the program to adjust all weaning weights correctly to 205 days. The program doesn't cost very much for the small operation versions. The different reports you have preprogrammed are amazing.

If you have even 20 head the data numbers, pedigrees, etc. can get pretty overwhelming pretty fast. Yes, it can be done on Excel but I think a purchased program is worth the $100. or so they cost to start. And the sooner you start putting data into any program the more useful they are. In any case I don't think a purchased program is "non sense" at all for most people. jmho.

Jim

Not to change the subject, but why are you wanting to get a few registered cattle? Are you just starting out or do you have "commercial" cattle already?

The money to be made in the registered cattle market is pretty much a tight knit group. If you're just starting out, I wouldn't start out with them. You'll never recover your money.

grannysoo":3gh1xfjv said:
Not to change the subject, but why are you wanting to get a few registered cattle? Are you just starting out or do you have "commercial" cattle already?

The money to be made in the registered cattle market is pretty much a tight knit group. If you're just starting out, I wouldn't start out with them. You'll never recover your money.
One reason for starting with registered cattle is that their genetics known. It's a lot easier to get somewhere if you know where you are starting from.

dun":1maixelh said:
grannysoo":1maixelh said:

One reason for starting with registered cattle is that their genetics known. It's a lot easier to get somewhere if you know where you are starting from.

... should be known.... better odds they are known... ;-)

Some breeds, like the Simmental breed, you do not have to pay for breeders certificates - you just buy semen & register the calves. Also, you can upgrade. You breed a PB Simmental bull to your commercial cows, and the offspring can be registered as 1/2 blood Simmental. 1/2 bred to PB = 3/4, and 3/4's bred to PB = PB. So instead of buying expensive PB cattle, you can upgrade to PB's using PB semen.
Edited to add: American Simmental Assn web site: http://www.simmental.org/

Latest posts