Registered Black Angus sale prices?

Help Support CattleToday:

Lrj505

Reaction score
I have recently bought 10 registered black angus cows. 8 are out of Leachman Saguchee 3000c. I had them all AI'd to SAV Resource. When should I market them ? And for how much ? Any tips for more profit ? Thanks. Cows average about 1,500 pounds. Very heavy boned.

To what market are you aiming, the registered breeder or as commercial cows? Registered cows will only be worth a premium if you are the breeder and have a good name in the seedstock industry. Having to ask the question suggests to me you are a bit of a novice in this area.

Ken

We have a 2,000 acre farm and good name in the area and own a feed store. I will easily sell the cows and bulls. My question is, should I wait til the heifers are bred? Yearlings ? Weaned ? And how much.

And we own a car dealership. I trade 24/7 and NEVER LOSE!

Ask for advice and get pestimist. I will sell you a car and make $10,000 profit on your arse

4.5 cars $32,500 profit = $7,000 profit a deal. Come by a car from me I will buy 7 cows with the profit from selling u a car. And you won't be able to buy a black cow.

Lrj505,

Humility isnt your strong suit. You asked for advice with little information, no one cares how much you own or how you screw people on car deals..

I agree. From all your post I've read sounds like you would be a lot better off selling the cows and keep selling cars. I could have probably guessed you were a used car salesman before you even mentioned it.

I would imagine the seedstock business is a bit different than selling cars. All makes and models of cars are built exactly to the same specifications then they add upgrades to the interior,which adds dollars but doesn't change the actual car other than esthetics. Now you have 10 heifers 8 out of 3000C ( he was an excellent bull in his day, semen prices are anywhere from 50.00 to 100.00 per straw on him now)

Resource is an excellent bull so you should have some nice calves. As to how to price them, you have to look at individual performance of each individual calf. Unlike cars even flush brothers and sisters can have major differences. Just because a calf is out of good genetics does not mean it will be worth keeping.

We have folks on here that have a great deal of knowledge and experience in the cattle business. They are more than willing to help if treated with respect, however being Cattlemen they are also independent strong willed individuals that don't abide BS. No one much cares what a person does or has outside of their cattle. Just food for though.

Gizmom

Holy smokers :lol: Selling cows is completely different from selling cattle. Most farmers have experience when it comes to buying cattle so good luck screwing one over and making bank like you do with cars.

Lrj505":1kzkpfn3 said:
Novice made me mad sorry and thanks

You get mad easy - a comment likely to make you mad.

If you have to ask the question you asked, you are a novice. Nothing wrong with that.

Just because you have 2000 acre farm and a feed store and a "good name" in the area doesn't mean you have a good name when it comes to selling registered breeding stock and it certainly doesn't mean you bred them or have the cow history behind them. All of which you would know if you weren't a novice. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Lrj505":2dtjxy3p said:
I have recently bought 10 registered black angus cows. 8 are out of Leachman Saguchee 3000c. I had them all AI'd to SAV Resource. When should I market them ? And for how much ? Any tips for more profit ? Thanks. Cows average about 1,500 pounds. Very heavy boned.

How long ago were they bred? Confirmed pregnancy? Are you registered with the Angus Association? (I ask that because I don't know for certain that calf is registerable since you were the breeder, if you aren't a member?)

Everybody here still has their cows on pasture. When they start calving is when they'll bring them home. Till then, no one wants to have more cows. We have a lot of bred heifers we're sitting in. We intended to keep till just before calving but have already tried moving them. As mentioned, no one really wants them till they start calving.

I'll pick up a registered cow at a sale that fits in my calving window and bring her home or out to pasture but "from a sale".

If you don't have the means to hold your own sale, you better be talking to all your feed store customers about consigning in one of theirs. Private treaty is an option but I hope you stole those cows.

NEFarmwife":3ntda5ec said:
I'll pick up a registered cow at a sale that fits in my calving window and bring her home or out to pasture but "from a sale".

If you don't have the means to hold your own sale, you better be talking to all your feed store customers about consigning in one of theirs. Private treaty is an option but I hope you stole those cows.

What's the big kick out of buying from a sale? I look at all the catalogs from the local sales and see all sorts of cows going for $3,000+ that I wouldn't pay more than $2,000 for. I don't want to help them pay for the tri-tip dinner and sale catalogs. I think you can buy decent animals private treaty if you look past Craig's List, and even there you can find nice animals.

Bestoutwest":17asnshh said:
NEFarmwife":17asnshh said:

What's the big kick out of buying from a sale? I look at all the catalogs from the local sales and see all sorts of cows going for $3,000+ that I wouldn't pay more than $2,000 for. I don't want to help them pay for the tri-tip dinner and sale catalogs. I think you can buy decent animals private treaty if you look past Craig's List, and even there you can find nice animals.

I don't know that we've personally spent over $2600-2700 on a good female but we've walked away with bred heifers for far less than that. There is no kick. I buy from reputable people that raise cattle the way I do. I live in Nebraska where I have Seedstock producers galore. My county alone, we have multiple.

Just yesterday, a couple miles from home... I saw next springs SAV sale alongside a few RB's.
I wouldn't venture onto craigslist to get my next registered female.

Latest posts