Registered Angus Breeders

Help Support CattleToday:

Conagher

Reaction score
At what age do you typically register your calves? Newborn, weaning, and/or after you make the cull decision?

Thanks!

Conagher":1nbkrsw0 said:
At what age do you typically register your calves? Newborn, weaning, and/or after you make the cull decision?

Thanks!

Within the first four months.

JHH":2t9c7ix2 said:
Not trying to start something here but can you really tell by 4 months if they are replacements or not? JHH

Hey, at four months they all look like herd sires and flush prospects! :) But we don't cull on looks. We evaluate them on their performance and that takes a while.

We register our in the 4-10 month window. After 10 months the price goes up and by 10 months you have a pretty good idea if the animal is worth registering.

Frankie":3tyubap1 said:
JHH":3tyubap1 said:
Not trying to start something here but can you really tell by 4 months if they are replacements or not? JHH

Hey, at four months they all look like herd sires and flush prospects! :) But we don't cull on looks. We evaluate them on their performance and that takes a while.

Ok so do you register all of them and then cull out the poor ones, or just the ones you think will be good and then just see? And at what age do you make your decesion? 205 days or 1 yr? just some questions I am kind of new to the reg. thing and was just wanting some input hope you dont mind? JHH

No, we only register replacement heifers and bulls that would make a good herd sire. Steers don't get papers nor do heifers that won't make a good replacement.

southpaw":2fgr411a said:
No, we only register replacement heifers and bulls that would make a good herd sire. Steers don't get papers nor do heifers that won't make a good replacement.

Don't you turn the data in on the culls?

JHH":q0cs5m33 said:
Frankie":q0cs5m33 said:
JHH":q0cs5m33 said:

Ok so do you register all of them and then cull out the poor ones, or just the ones you think will be good and then just see? And at what age do you make your decesion? 205 days or 1 yr? just some questions I am kind of new to the reg. thing and was just wanting some input hope you dont mind? JHH

I don't mind questions. We register them all by four months; after four months it costs more to register.

I think all of ours will be good. I'm not being arrogrant or stupid when I say that. Every cow on our place is at least three generations of performance breeding. We haven't used a bull natural service in probably 12 years. Like does breed like, though I wouldn't try to tell you that we haven't had some sorry animals born on this place.

We'll generally keep all the heifers from the cows that have performed best for us by bulls that we've been pleased with. We seldom sell open heifers. So the heifers born here will either be sold as a bred heifer, calved out and sold as a young pair or retained. Whatever we do with them, they'll need to be registered. When we have taken heifers to the sale barn, we just write "sold w/o transfer" on the papers and send them back to the Assn.

Thanks for the info, the herf association is like the others I guess cost more after 4 months, just trying to figure out how you guys tell if they are replacements or not. This really helped out I guess the performance and maternal is as about as important as looks. Sorry to get off subject! :oops: JHH

I guess that's another good reason to have red polls. The registry is $20 up until they are 12 months old. I intend to wait until they get close to that age as I want their yearling weight recorded (no additional charge if its included with the registry).

Yes, after 4 months of age, it gets really expensive to register Angus calves: $9 from 4-10 months, $14 from 10-12 and $27 for anything over 12 months of age. ;-)

Frankie that surprises me as I thought angus was much higher to register. Learn new something new everyday.

Here in Canada for Red Angus our price under 4 months is $15.00. 4-7 months is $20.00. 7-10 months $30.00. 10-12 months $40.00. 12-18 months $50.00. 18+ months $100.00.
Last year was our first year registering. I am like Frankie. I don't want to sound arrogant but we went out and spent a lot of money on some great cows and we knew the calves would be worth registering so we registered them all right away.
I do think that most times you can tell who is worth registering conformation wise before 4 months of age, especially if you've had your cows for a few years and know what the bulls throw. Then it is like Frankie said - it is performance that matters or as my mother always says "The proof is in the pudding."

> 4 months. Get at least weaning data. If at a year they don't pan out they still might make a decent cow commercially.

Scotty

Under four months...because it is cheaper..

AND

If you don't supply data on all of the cattle you raise, you are ruining your breeds EPD's and your herd ratios...

JHH":r8m008nu said:
Thanks for the info, the herf association is like the others I guess cost more after 4 months, just trying to figure out how you guys tell if they are replacements or not. This really helped out I guess the performance and maternal is as about as important as looks. Sorry to get off subject! :oops: JHH
"I guess the performance and maternal is as about as important as looks." Genotype and Phenotype. Genotype and Phenotype. Genotype and Phenotype!! JHH - contact any Association and/or University and ask them to send you information regarding the IMPORTANT traits and factors of raising Beef Cattle -Registered or not.

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts