Reg Bull Question

Help Support CattleToday:

rockcreekfarm

Reaction score
I have never purchased a registered bull before. I have 20 head of young commercial cattle, 10 that just had their first calves this past march and 10 that are 14-15 month old heifers. Last year I bred my first 10 by A.I and had really good luck with it, we only missed 3. I am looking for a clean up bull to run with the heifers and the cows that don't take A.I. The cows and heifers are mostly hereford angus crosses. I have found a reg angus bull but I am afraid his calves might be to big, especially for heifers. My A.I bulls i'm using have CED of 14 this bull is 4. Here is the link to his EPDs. Any comments and opinions are appreciated.

http://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPedDtl.a ... ELrQ%3d%3d

lots of things would play into it if you know a little about your heifers and they can handle a little BW you may be fine the bull your looking at has alot of BW on the cow side if he leans in that direction could produce some heavier calves i dont think id use him on heifers myself but thats me.

what was his actual BW, numbers wise looks like a heavier calf. Thinks he gets it from the little bit of line breeding in him.

The breeder said he was around 78 lbs. That was my first issue with thinking he calves might be to big. My heifers were only around 55-60 actual BW. I don't know much on the genetics of my cows or heifers. I bought them from my grandma she just has commercial cows that are bred to a commercial polled hereford bull that usually throws calves between 50-60 lbs.

If it was me there's no way I'd put this bull in with my heifers. His dam has a -5 CED and a +4.6 BW.. Granted, her accuracy is low but personally I'd run from him

Thanks everyone. I am still kind of new at this and just wanted some other opinions before I did anything. I think I am going to keep looking, I know there has to be a better one somewhere.

2nd bull for sure. The breeder of the first bull should be slapped for trying to sell him as a heifer bull, with the bad CE and high BW that runs so deep through that maternal line (nothing positive for 5-6 generations, one with -11 CE ouch). Classic case of fire and ice mating. They can work but I would prove that on someone else's heifers!

Latest posts