refreshing AI techniques each year.

Help Support CattleToday:

Dsth

Reaction score
I had my AI tech breed a virgin heifer for me last year that I could not get trough the cervix. He stated that when it is not uncommon for beef farmers to loose their techniques between breeding seasons; unlike dairy farmers that breed all year long. I never really gave it much thought until he mentioned that. This passed Saturday I started AIing my synchronized cows/heifers and had a real problem getting through the first three cows and even felt uncomfortable going through the same old routine that I have done probably hundreds of time. Maybe the first three were just hard cows but don't remember having trouble with them in the past. By the time I finished last night, the whole process was like clockwork and no problems. Wondering if others get a little rusty between breeding seasons. By the way, the AI tech didn't get my heifer bred either.

I am always a bit anxious with the first lot each year. Are my hands still up to the job? I do the heifers first and I feel they are less taxing on my hands and builds my confidence, an occaisional one will have a cervix that just doesn't want to be penetrated but often several hours later things will be a bit easier. Good heat detection and getting a good feel for when they should be bred I feel makes the job easier.

Ken

I have read about a finger exercise for practice.

Place a dime, penny, nickel, and quarter in your pocket. Manipulate the coins. Feel for differences: coin size, thickness, edge texture. Determine each coin by touch.

I have read about a finger exercise for practice.

Place a dime, penny, nickel, and quarter in your pocket. Manipulate the coins. Feel for differences: coin size, thickness, edge texture. Determine each coin by touch.
That could give people the wrong impression with what you are playing with. Might need to wear a sign, "practicing my artificial insemination" on 2nd thoughts that might get you into deeper trouble.

Ken

Latest posts