"RED" LONGEVITY ~ PHOTOS

Help Support CattleToday:

CowCop

Reaction score
~

You probably can tell I had my trusty camera out blazing yesterday.

I finally got a decent hillside shot of 2 of our oldest, and best producing, cows.

10_18_06_032.jpg

~

The Simmi is 16.
She has had 16 calves ( 1 set of twins )
14 were heifers.

The Smurf is 14.
She has had 13 calves.

Both heavy milking moms.

CowCop":1osbav6j said:
~

You probably can tell I had my trusty camera out blazing yesterday.

I finally got a decent hillside shot of 2 of our oldest, and best producing, cows.

I don't know which one I like better. My favorite two breeds. Traditonal Simms and Herefords. We got rid of our last traditional Simmy this week.

10_18_06_032.jpg

Great looking cows that can go the mile! everyones dream. donna

very nice cows, both look to still have nice udders. how many of those daughters have you kept?

~

Good Morning~!

Both cows are purebred and both are commercial.

The Hereford was bred up from an award winning Shorthorn milking herd in the late 60's and is owned by my boss.
She is hopefully bred to a son of Feltons Domino 774.
( See thread on Critique Vermont Bull )

The Simmi was bred up from a Hereford herd at a vocational Ag School down in Massachusetts. Considered commercial. Her daughters are registered when sired by PB Simmental.
Her grandfather was the legendary Simmental Ueli.

She was destined for slaughter 5 years ago, as she was determined to be "open" by a Mass vet.
In a strange twist of fate, I ended up with her and she presented me with a PB Heifer 4 months later. Have 3 more outstanding daughters since then. One of my former students has the rest of her daughters and shows them all over New England.
This old Simmy was a State champ in her younger years and was also used for many 4-H "Cow Patty" fund raisers.

Would love to use a Char bull on both these good cows.
They do well with every bull we have bred them to.

CowCop":17gob3k7 said:
she was determined to be "open" by a Mass vet.
In a strange twist of fate, I ended up with her and she presented me with a PB Heifer 4 months later.
That vet must have been having a bad day to miss bumping a 5 month old fetus. :shock:

Good looking old cows.

Latest posts