red angus

Help Support CattleToday:

oregonbuckaroo":1yyacq6v said:
I am looking at starting a red angus herd. I was told that red angus is meaner than black angus. Is this true???

No. Not possible. Nothing is meaner than a Black Angus.

Boy, has somebody got me in a foul mood today.

No this isn't true. In fact some main stay breeders have added red to their line-up and have really noticed the difference. Red has a better disposition. In fact I herd one of the bigger named breeders say. The blacks are a little easier to sell but he would much rather be around the reds for disposition reasons.

MikeC":p6jgel39 said:
oregonbuckaroo":p6jgel39 said:
I am looking at starting a red angus herd. I was told that red angus is meaner than black angus. Is this true???

now, now there are a lot of things meaner than an Black angus...

Jake":3dl7hugc said:
MikeC":3dl7hugc said:
oregonbuckaroo":3dl7hugc said:

now, now there are a lot of things meaner than an Black angus...

Yea, a Jersey Bull and my wife!

I was just joshing the guy Jake. How could anyone even wonder if a Red Angus is meaner than a Black angus? All they would know is the ones they have been around or what someone told them!

This was my way of answering a dumb question. Maybe my sense of humor is sick though. :lol:

MikeC":dxroxg02 said:
oregonbuckaroo":dxroxg02 said:

Really. Back this up. Proof wanted, need is more like it. In all reality i think all breeds have bad apples. The meanest cows I have ever been around were grey Brahman. Some of the calmest were the reds.

Scotty

Scotty":38yqo8ln said:
MikeC":38yqo8ln said:
oregonbuckaroo":38yqo8ln said:

Really. Back this up. Proof wanted, need is more like it. In all reality i think all breeds have bad apples. The meanest cows I have ever been around were grey Brahman. Some of the calmest were the reds.

Scotty

the meanest set of cows I've ever seen were a bunch of horned herefords that were more the style of the old ones, but you didn't wanna get caught alone with one of them in the ally at the barn. If they'd have been the size of normal cattle the salebarn wouldn't have held them!!

Surprises me....I haven't met a mean Hereford yet..even the horned...maybe they were reservation cows that were forgotten for awhile. We processed a few horned Herefords on Sunday...gentle as could be....DMc

We've run Reds for years and never had a problem with one yet. Our current bull is a lot more agressive than our past Reds (I kinda like that colloquialism), but he's still a big puppy dog (not that we treat him like one, we're not suicidal). Plus, he's got the libido of a lonely Jersey bull.

I sure don't know where you guys are getting your mean Angus. I have both Reds and Blacks and they are puppy dogs compared to some of the others I have. I have a Red heifer that I decided to keep as a replacement since she was so tame. I don't mess with my calves much. They only get touched when loaded in the trailer on the way to the market but this one used to come up to the fence to me. I have her at the house now in my replacement group. I can't remember ever having a mean Angus female. Now my bulls just love to fight. Got a horned Hereford that will catch you, got a polled Hereford that you can't get near, got a Black Brangus that goes nuts when cornered. That's about the only ones I have that give me any problems. I off Sunday to a registered herd dispersal sale to get some more of those mean Angus. :lol:

MikeC":2vb8pzi3 said:
Flaboy, You going to that sale down close to Orlando?

Yeah, I am going after the commercial stuff and see what equipment they have that I can use. I'm sure their registered stuff is out of my reach or should I say more than I need.

Latest posts