recording scurrs

Help Support CattleToday:

certherfbeef

Reaction score
A few years back I had a scurred heifer that was entered in a "polled only" sale. Had the Hereford field guy come out, comfirm that they were indeed scurrs. I applied for papers for her as polled and he signed them...then I removed the scurrs. She was near 8 months old.

Wondering if there is a bottom age on when the all knowing field rep can tell me if they are scurrs or horns. The calf in question is barely 3 months old and I have some interest in him but only if he is not horned :roll: :roll: :roll:

I don't plan on misleading these folks so I need this process done correctly. Aside from calling hereford, again, what is the youngest that it can be decided if the calf is scurred or horned?

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":25fe3sid said:
Well if they are scurred yes they are hetero polled but they will be carrying a horned gene. The ratio will be something like this 50 % hetero polled meaning scurred or smooth polled, 25 percent homo polled and 25 percent homo horned. Below are the ratios

http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/an_sci/extensi ... g96-3.html

OK look. I breed horned and polled herefords. I know all about the scurred gene. RE-READ my post.

I want to know how soon the field rep can sign off on them being scurrs so I can registered him polled.

TTCLM...WHEN YOU HAVE NO CLUE, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!!!!!

certherfbeef":20qwgl5l said:
TTCLM...WHEN YOU HAVE NO CLUE, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!!!!!
:shock: :oops: :frowns: :lol2: :D

I don't know what the bottom age is. I do know he agreed with us & our vet that a 7 month old heifer was scurred. Things didn't work out for us to get the vet back out to remove the scurs until she was about 11 months. We & our vet would have sworn she was horned at that point. He cosmetically dehorned her but because she was so old she still has a horned look to her poll.
This scurred/horned thing can be real subjective.

Chris H":uomlebjy said:
We & our vet would have sworn she was horned at that point.

Chris, I have noticed that with some of our commercial calves that are scurred their poll is a little wider than a polled animal. We just gouged the scurred heifer we had and she too had some attachment to the skull.

Did John go clear down to your place when you called him, or did you have to wait on an event south of you for his "assistance"?

When we had him out he had just taken the job and was still wanting to do it right at that point.

certherfbeef":swkhlw6n said:
Chris H":swkhlw6n said:
We & our vet would have sworn she was horned at that point.

Chris, I have noticed that with some of our commercial calves that are scurred their poll is a little wider than a polled animal. We just gouged the scurred heifer we had and she too had some attachment to the skull.

Did John go clear down to your place when you called him, or did you have to wait on an event south of you for his "assistance"?

When we had him out he had just taken the job and was still wanting to do it right at that point.

We had the heifer at Louisville in 2004, caught him there.

dang ttclm, didn't know you were that mean

To tell if they are scurrs just simply wiggle them around if they move then they aren't attached and the animal is scurred. If they are attached then the animal is horned.
as soon as it is old enough to have enough tissue to wiggle around.

Diehard40":1ra18wk2 said:
To tell if they are scurrs just simply wiggle them around if they move then they aren't attached and the animal is scurred. If they are attached then the animal is horned.
as soon as it is old enough to have enough tissue to wiggle around.

If that is the case then his inch and a half long stubbs at 3 months are scurrs.

BTW, add me to the list of elite that has gotten a pm from TTCLM. :roll:

Off subject, but I just noticed 'Cowhand' beneath my login name, Cert's is 'Guru', and I see someone else has 'Rancher' under it. That's cool. So, are those automatic, or does the man beind the board assign those?

I don't know much about this subject, all mine are horned but you would think they would have a DNA test for it.
On my "Theories" post MikeC said he could tell just by looking at eye lashes. Maybe if you posted a picture of his eye he could tell you if he was polled or not. :D

Oh ya, tell TTCLM to go give something a shot of LA-200 and leave you alone and tell him to combine it with sulfa bolus it works better. :D

Ned Jr.,- city slicker :(

I think If an animal is registered and it is scured you are not allowed to remove the scures you have to leave them on the animal, :( :lol: how are you getting scured heifers when you breed poll herefords?do you have horned genetics in your herd? ;-)

topsquar":s7yuyao3 said:
I think If an animal is registered and it is scured you are not allowed to remove the scures you have to leave them on the animal, :( :lol: how are you getting scured heifers when you breed poll herefords?do you have horned genetics in your herd? ;-)

In the states if you want to remove horn/scur growth you have to have a field man verify the growth is a scur, then you can register the calf as polled/scurred. That's what Cert was asking, is there a minimum age at which you can detect if the growth is a scur. Even horns at 3 months wiggle quite a bit.
Cert has quite a bit of horned genetics in her herd.

Ned Jr.":2gz1uioy said:
I don't know much about this subject, all mine are horned but you would think they would have a DNA test for it.
:(

What was the answer to this. Can you do that for a resessive gene and if so does the positive test mean you will have the scurrs or just the possiblity of them? Thanx

Latest posts