record books

Help Support CattleToday:

dbc

Reaction score
I want to keep good records of my cows and how they produce calves and things like that. How is the best way to keep records, and are there record books that i could fill in the basic information about each cow to keep track?

Missouri extension has a large form that you can track health, breeding, calves and most anything else on. The form # is MP-625. I used to use them and kept them in a looseleaf notebook.

dun

i started using one from gulfcoast cattleman it is a brood cow record , pretty good, also loose leaf like card stock. 30 cents each.
gulf coast cattleman
11201 morning court
san antonio, TX 78213

I prefer the spiral note book myself. I can make up the columns as I go. Doesn't fit in my pocket, but I have one for that to. Then transfer all info to the spiral and then finally into the computer.

Everybody has a small pocket-sized notebook and pen that we write stuff down in, information is then transferred to a spiral notebook with columns Dad designates. Here it never makes it to the computer as Dad is NOT computer literate, but each notebook is labeled and ends up in the filing cabinet eventually.

I keep mine in a spiral notebook. Got a pocket organizer that hangs behind the seat of my truck that I keep it in. I do have copies that I keep at home just in case somethin were to happen to my spiral. I tried a computer program a few years ago, it wouldnt let me enter the kind of information I wanted to, was more trouble than it was worth, ditched it after workin with it for over a year. Just a waste of my time puttin info in and still not havin room for the important things I wanted on there. I usually end up with two sets of records a year since we work cows twice a year.
Example
birth year/cow# tag/date calf born/date bred/lastyearscalf
I keep it in columns. Very simple. I put a discription of the calf by the date it was born, heifer or bull. Then keep a record of last years calf kept or sold, tag numbers etc.
When my replacement heifers get the regular tag numbers I put them in the main list, along with their mama's tag number that way I know who they are out of. What bull was their sire, etc. It's not hard once you get it all written down in columns to keep up with it.
Then when we work cows I put the dates that all the vaccinations were given and what kind.
Bet that was clear as mud. lol hope it helped

dbc":3i498r7b said:
I want to keep good records of my cows and how they produce calves and things like that. How is the best way to keep records, and are there record books that i could fill in the basic information about each cow to keep track?

Ours is a WRECK on wheels! :( Its going to take me 100 years to figure out what the heck my dad is trying to say on some of his stuff. On something he will right something down that I can't read and I will ask him and he says " Ihuh" and makes a grunting sound familiar to a bull bawing. :roll:

I am just gunna give you a hint from experience in sorting a train wreck!

1. Use a pen that works well
2. Stop the pickup when writing
3. Use decent penmanship if possible
4. Don't spill coffee all over your notebook and keep it in the metal case I got for you (DAD!) :shock: :p
5. I always skip lines (know wut i mean) in cow books, checkbook registers and stuff like that. Makes it easier for me to read.

Hope this helps! :D I just gave you tips to keep from having a wreck to where you can't read it but be careful on what you write down.... what can cause a wreck even bigger!

Latest posts