Recommend a V rake

Help Support CattleToday:

kentuckyguy

Reaction score
I'm looking to pick up a V rake to speed up my baling process. I used my neighbors the other day and it was MUCH faster.

In my area looks like dealers have Kuhn, Vermeer, Frontier, and Bush hog.

Which would you recommend? Any to avoid?

kentuckyguy said:
I'm looking to pick up a V rake to speed up my baling process. I used my neighbors the other day and it was MUCH faster.

What kind did your neighbor have? That might be your best bet.

He had a Vermeer but honestly the model he had was a little big for my fields. We have a lot of 5-7 acre hay fields.

If I'm reading correctly some of the v rakes require that you have a float position on your remotes.

We have lots of ground that's not the smoothest so I don't want something that's gonna get beat to death.

There's more Vermeer 8 and 10 wheel v rakes here than anything else. I haven't heard anything negative on the newer models. Kuhn is second most common. We still use an old rollabar rake for now, but would like to add a v rake one of these days.

kentuckyguy said:

Here is a Vermeer in the state next to you for $4500. I have this model rake and have used it for the last five years or so. They are good rakes. Really hard to adjust but once set no need for any more adjustments. You can locate the wheels either in five to the side or four to the side by removing one wheel and relocating to a different position. Heavy hay about the minimum windrow width for me is 48 inches for the 5410 Vermeer baler I use. This rake is priced about 1/2 price as a new one.
https://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/farm-equipment/for-sale/195312759/vermeer-vr1022. A vr820 rake would be all right if you can find one and the dealer should give you a good deal on one. Advice just stay away from the fence with it.

Down in Dixie said:
The Kuhn does not need a float remote. The new G2 rakes are a little different design than my older rake.

So the gen 1 Kuhn SR 108 speed rake doesn't need float hydraulics?

We found a good deal on the used Kuhn that looks brand new. But it's not the new generation.

kentuckyguy said:
Down in Dixie said:
The Kuhn does not need a float remote. The new G2 rakes are a little different design than my older rake.

So the gen 1 Kuhn SR 108 speed rake doesn't need float hydraulics?

We found a good deal on the used Kuhn that looks brand new. But it's not the new generation.
Iirc
Because it's ground driven, why would it need float? It just uses hydraulics to fold.
Maybe I'm wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

The float allows the arms to flex if your on uneven ground without putting unnecessary weight or stress on your wheels. We had an old 3 pt hitch V rake that would break teeth all the time because it wasn't allowed to fully free float.

Latest posts