Reblueing shotgun

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Ive got an old Stevens double barrel shotgun. I got a little cabin fever over Christmas, and refinished the wood, blasted and painted the trigger guard. I bought a little kit to reblue the metal with at a gun store. It was $6 for the kit. The gun looks like new money, except for the reblueing. No wonder with what I paid. Is there a good product to reblue the gun with.

Bigfoot":254a4p9e said:
Ive got an old Stevens double barrel shotgun. I got a little cabin fever over Christmas, and refinished the wood, blasted and painted the trigger guard. I bought a little kit to reblue the metal with at a gun store. It was $6 for the kit. The gun looks like new money, except for the reblueing. No wonder with what I paid. Is there a good product to reblue the gun with.

Unfortunately I fell victim to the same kit you probably had.. then i tried the blue pen they had out like a big sharpie and that didn't work either I gave up.

Some of the guns just do not blue well with the cold blue no matter what the price. I havent tried that one to say for sure. Some just have to be done with hot blue. Not something most people can do. Might check at a shop if it is something u want to keep.

The metal actually looked better before. My MIL gave it to me. It looked like it had been buried in the garden. Everything turned out good except the metal. My mother recommended stove black. I don't think that is the direction I should go.

Bigfoot":vxotn64j said:
The metal actually looked better before. My MIL gave it to me. It looked like it had been buried in the garden. Everything turned out good except the metal. My mother recommended stove black. I don't think that is the direction I should go.

I if I had to do something would use ultra flat paint then go back with clearcoat if I was really worried about it.

skyhightree1":2lur2mu7 said:
Bigfoot":2lur2mu7 said:

I if I had to do something would use ultra flat paint then go back with clearcoat if I was really worried about it.

That may not be a bad idea. I gotta wonder how well it will stick.

skyhightree1":qhhdqh81 said:
Bigfoot":qhhdqh81 said:

You would paint a vintage side x side? Really?

Try your kit and here's one tip that will help. It ain't gonna be a rust blue but it will be functional.

When you get ready to put on the bluing take a hairdryer and get it real warm(i know real scientific) then apply the bluing. It will take better. You also have to make sure there is not even a micron of oil or grease on it anywhere or the blue will not take.

BTW this trick works real good with touch ups too!

3waycross":axiwuh1h said:
skyhightree1":axiwuh1h said:
Bigfoot":axiwuh1h said:

You would paint a vintage side x side? Really?

Try your kit and here's one tip that will help. It ain't gonna be a rust blue but it will be functional.

When you get ready to put on the bluing take a hairdryer and get it real warm(i know real scientific) then apply the bluing. It will take better. You also have to make sure there is not even a micron of oil or grease on it anywhere or the blue will not take.

BTW this trick works real good with touch ups too!

3 way cross yes I would because you can always use paint thinner and go back down to scratch. In my opinion it protects better than blueing and is more durable from when i did that on one of my black powder rifles

This is my experience with the blueing kit next step I am gonna do is camo this gun. You can see the factory paint on the receiver is still durable and you see where I tried to blue the barrel

2013-01-03_21-37-07_324.jpg

2013-01-03_21-37-25_274.jpg

I'm not really a gun person. The paint sounded logical. It's a model 311 20 gauge. No serial number. I am pretty sure it's not valuable.

I painted one several years ago. The paint was a metal specific paint semi gloss several coat are recommended. I wish I could remember the kind of paint it was some kind of enamel In A rattle can

Good product Caustic.

FWIW Bigfoot this is one of the reviews...I can guarantee that the negative ones failed to follow the directions on prep

Comments about Blue Wonder Gun Blue Cold Blue 2 oz Kit:

restored an old Stephen 311 20 guage side by side. Took my time and got a deep blue luster. It was easy to use and dircetions were understandable and easy to follow. It is a little messy or maybe it is just me. I reccommend using outside if the weather is nice.

Bottom Line Yes, I would recommend this to a friend

Was this review helpful? Yes / No
- You may also flag this review

Thanks, I will Oder that kit. I wish I had asked before I started. The wood and trigger guard look like new. It's a shame for the rest of it to look so bad.

The value in any gun is what it is worth to you. I have some that I can sell for lots of money but a couple that are cheap to sell but priceless to me because of who owned them before. If you like it thats what matters. I let a 311 in 16ga get away from me a while back and I have offered double what its worth to get it back. He likes it also so I have not gotten it yet.

Latest posts