rearen up on ya.

Help Support CattleToday:

ONLY-BEEF

Reaction score
A tip on stopen yur pony from rearen up on ya is to take and fill yur self a ballon with hot water from yur tap. put a glove on and hold that hot ballon in yur hand. get on that pony an when it rears up on ya break that ther ballon right between his ears real hard like. after ya done this a time or 2 he will get ta thinken that every time he rears up he splits his head on somthen and takes to bleeden. i stopped me a good number o ponys from rearen over the years just by doen this.

i can't help but reply to this and hope that any reading it will spend more time teaching thier horse forward motion and also getting them to disengage their hind quarters. Most of the time a horse rears is because the rider simply gives it no other direction to go. This is a fable I have heard all my life but never actually been on a ride with someone carrying a water ballon for that reason. I should know you when I see you I guess. Sorry, couldn't help myself...........

The water balloon can work sometimes, but the horse will find another way to act like an idiot.

what RC says is more practical. Keep that horse moving forward or in a circle. Same thing for bucking. If you stop, they think they won and they'll keep up the bad behavior.

If you aren't up to it. Pay a professional or sell the horse.

I agree. when I was young I had an ole cowboy tell me he use to break a bottle of warm water over their head and it stopped bad behaveir. I could'nt do it.

I have a mare that I team pen and sort with and I had problems with her rearing up. An old trainer gave me some advice that helped me out a lot. The first thing he asked is what did I do when she came up. I was letting off the bit and just holding on. He said to keep pressure on the bit but not to yank on it, and to spur her and get her back feet moving. Then when she comes down and drops her head then release the pressure. He said that most horses that rear up and throw their head around do it because the rider released the pressure on the bit every time it happened, so they thought they did something right.

jnowack":2rhybwks said:
He said to keep pressure on the bit but not to yank on it, and to spur her and get her back feet moving. Then when she comes down and drops her head then release the pressure.

That will work with some horses, but it will bring other horses right on over on top of you.

I know an old cowboy who said he cured quite a few horses of rearing by pulling them over backwards. Only when he was riding bareback or had his feet free of the stirrups! and he must have been pretty agile in his day. He told a story of someone he knew or worked for (I can't remember) that got kind of mad and rode off on a horse that was a known rearer. So the tale goes, horse and rider came back hours later, horse in a sweat and rider hung up by his boot. Drug to death. The conclusion everyone came to was that the horse had reared, fellow had tried that trick...and it was the last thing he ever did.

milkmaid":2vax9quu said:
I know an old cowboy who said he cured quite a few horses of rearing by pulling them over backwards.

That is how Dad cured one of our mares of rearing. She threw a fit, reared and went over backwards with him. When she got up the off rein was across the saddle and he jerked her over backwards again. To the best of my knowledge she never reared again.

msscamp":ac7ftf2q said:
jnowack":ac7ftf2q said:
He said to keep pressure on the bit but not to yank on it, and to spur her and get her back feet moving. Then when she comes down and drops her head then release the pressure.

That will work with some horses, but it will bring other horses right on over on top of you.

Thats the part he said you had to be careful about (the spurs), just enough to get them moving.

jnowack":3bw7cffi said:
msscamp":3bw7cffi said:
jnowack":3bw7cffi said:

Thats the part he said you had to be careful about (the spurs), just enough to get them moving.

I would caution you to be absolutely certain you know the horse - and the motivations for rearing - before applying this particular technique. Granted, it will work on a lot of horses, but I would sure hate to see you get hurt by applying it to one of those it won't work on. We never ride with spurs, just being goosed with boot heels was enough to make the mare mentioned above try to buck while rearing and go over. Just a little something to think about.

Well I may very well be that old cowboy you are talking about. I "used" to break horses that went up on me by pulling them over but you are right, the timing is critical. I then went to starting them as yearlings. If they reared from pressure I would try to time it with a long enough lead rope to get around them and snatch them over. Say what you want but this technique has worked for me more times than not.

I now try to do MUCH more ground work on them when they are young as I am not! It seems to work better than brute force.

flaboy-":1wi98ktn said:
It seems to work better than brute force.

I agree with you flaboy, the horse I mentioned is the only horse we've ever had that reared and she only did it when she was throwing a temper fit. She was purchased at a production sale, spoiled, and had been allowed to get away with throwing fits for quite a while. I probably should have mentioned that the same day she went over with Dad, she had already thrown me and messed me up pretty bad. She is the only horse we've ever had that threw these kinds of fits, and the only one that was ever pulled over backwards.

my step-father used to get a thick leather strap and when the horses would rear up...he'd smack their hind legs with it to get em kicking so they'd come down and try to run...only bad thing about that was they got used to running and he'd have to work with them to get em to slow down their pace

about pulling them over...when I was young...i'd get one a few horses that my dad hadn't broke yet and they'd rear up and i'd get scared and just hold on and pull on the reins and I never came close to pulling one of em over backwards...seems like it'd be a pretty hard tast to pull a horse over backwards just to break it from rearing...seems like it'd get right many of your horses hurt too...when horses rear up...they usually dont rear up so far that they'll get themselves off balance...they usually got more weight going forward than a person could just pull backwards and make the horse fall over

I with you guys on this, if a horse rears up the last thing I want to do is pull back on the bit. I won't have a horse that rears.. gone! But when I was younger I would give them their head, try to get my weight forward and wait for them to come down. When they came down I would take the head and circle the cr@p out of them, flexing work.

I'm with Flaboy I work them now while they are young, when the youngster rears I try to make it real uncomfortable for them, pulling and twisting them, If I do pull a young one over I pray they don't hit their head too hard, but it usally stops the rearing.

JMO,
Alan

Alan":3rwmydeo said:
I won't have a horse that rears.. gone!

if you know how to train horses...its a lot cheaper to get a wild horse and break it than to buy a horse thats already broken...and if you buy a wild horse...you can break it and train it exactly how you want to...sometimes you'll buy a horse thats been trained to run...so it always wants to go fast...sometimes they haven't been worked hard enough and they want to slack off...when you buy a wild horse...you start from the beginning with the horse...you can teach him to do everything you want him to do...you dont have to worry about what he learned before...when I was young my dad would go buy wild ponies from Chincoteague and they were great...it took a lot of hard work to break them...but once we got them broke we could teach them to our likin'...just about every wild horse will rear up and try to scare you off but when you dont run off they're thinking "im bigger than you...why aint you scared of me?"...once they realize you wont back down from them...they'll stop the rearing up because they know its not going to scare you off...I wont buy a horse thats already broke...if they buck and rear up then thats fine...just gives you more time to work with them and get used to their personality

My feeling it is part of my age, not a youngster anymore. John Lyons was giving a seminar a few miles away a couple of months ago, he horse reared and went over on him, broke his collar bone. Unbroke horses are a young mans/girls sport.

Alan

im 62 and I still break all my own horses...but maybe im just an old man thats thinks he's still young enough to get the job done :lol: ...it's not always a younguns sport...my father broke and trained horses until he was 73 then he had a stroke and was unable to move his left arm after that...broke his heart not being able to work with all them horses anymore...I believe a lot of us "old folks" can get the job done a lot better than some of the younguns still :D ...most of the younguns dont even want to have to train their horse...so you know they aint going to want to break them...but maybe its a smart thing for you to not get a horse that rears...I just aint been smart enough to figure out im too old for it yet :)

Have a good day Alan

rc":306b5cmh said:
i can't help but reply to this and hope that any reading it will spend more time teaching thier horse forward motion and also getting them to disengage their hind quarters. Most of the time a horse rears is because the rider simply gives it no other direction to go. This is a fable I have heard all my life but never actually been on a ride with someone carrying a water ballon for that reason. I should know you when I see you I guess. Sorry, couldn't help myself...........

Yes, I can't help but to agree with you on that. Usually if they think a ballon helps is because they are holding less with the reins and concentrating more on breaking a ballon on the horses head. I have heard this old tale every since I was a kid, never saw it be a usefull trianing tool .

Ray

Heritage_Farmboy":12uip6do said:
about pulling them over...when I was young...i'd get one a few horses that my dad hadn't broke yet and they'd rear up and i'd get scared and just hold on and pull on the reins and I never came close to pulling one of em over backwards...seems like it'd be a pretty hard tast to pull a horse over backwards just to break it from rearing...seems like it'd get right many of your horses hurt too...when horses rear up...they usually dont rear up so far that they'll get themselves off balance...they usually got more weight going forward than a person could just pull backwards and make the horse fall over

Maybe I should clear this up for you farmboy. When I said I used to pull them over here is how I did it. Many times I would ride it out by releasing the reins. Sometimes after a few "I will scare him off" attempts, I would have a longish lead rope on them, wait for them to go up really good, slide off to the ground and snatch them over. When I am on the ground, I will try to catch them up high, run around to one side, and then snatch them over. I really don't like to do this but you do what you have to do. My main means of curing this is whip the front of their legs just above the hoof only when they are up. I use a 3 1/2 foot fiber glass golf shaft so you have to be willing to get up close and personal with them. I had a stud one time that would go up and actually walk on his hind feet towards me pawing at me. The stick didn't work on him. I managed to catch him and pull him over and it knocked the wind out of him. I quickly jumped on his head and held him down for about 15 minutes. That horse NEVER went back up and he never fought me again. Just my experience.

I managed to catch him and pull him over and it knocked the wind out of him. I quickly jumped on his head and held him down for about 15 minutes. That horse NEVER went back up and he never fought me again. Just my experience.

I have a yearling stud colt that rears up, maybe this will help him :cboy:

Latest posts