really sickcalf

Help Support CattleToday:

zemogsmom

Reaction score
I posted my problem in new board. Am told I need "milkmaids" help.

Milkmaid if your out there please help.

Post on the health and nutrition board.

You need to hydrate that calf right away, tube her or intravenious if neccessary or its going to die.

I have done this with some success.

Stop giving milk replacer and give the calf jello water, a full small box of it, mixed with the electrolytes. It will give him calories and keep him hydrated. Get some SMZ tablets and dissolve 2 into the jello water. Give this to him by bottle or tube him. He'll need at least 3 pints of this several times a day. You can give him a pint here and there thruout the day if it's easier on him. Right now I'd get at least 3 pints down him immediately. He's got to restore his electrolyte imbalance and get rehydrated right away. Also, get some spectam and squirt that in his mouth or put it in the bottle of electrolyte mixture.

I normally don't withhold milk during scours, but in a case like this, I certainly do. The replacer may be irritaing his gut at this point. Wait until he has some strength back before you introduce the milk. I'd give him jello water for about 3 days.

And push the probios...I mean lots of probios!

The calf sounds to be on his last legs. Whatever you try may not make a bit of difference, but everynow and then, one like this can be saved. I've always thought that when one gets down like this, what have you got to lose. Go for it...pull out the stops. Try whatever makes sense to YOU. And remember this...not all of them will live, or were meant to live. But those that keep trying to live, I keep trying to save. I understand where you are coming from with that one.

Alice

Something else that just popped into my feeble mind. What is the milk replacer made of? That stuff with soy can starve a calf with a full belly. Get the good stuff, either for this guy or subsequent calves. A minimum of 20% fat 20% protein and made from milk and/or milk by-products.

dun

Dun I give him MAXI-CALF 21%Protien 21% Fat .

I just went down again and he drank 2 quarts of calf-sorb.
( it's electrolyte stuff)

Too weak to get up but whent he pooped laying down some liquid and then real good looking poop. Have a towel I sprayed with some bug repellant laying over him right now. Seems to be keeping most flies away from him. He's got his head up looking at me. Couldn't do that this morning.

Funny thing we gotanother calf at sametime and he is a healthy finger sucking wheres the bottle kind of guy. :)

morning Just a quick note to let you know little guy didn't make
it. Thanks for your help

I am so sorry. It's tough when you've spent so much time and effort and heart trying to save one and it doesn't make it. But, you did what you could for a calf that had the odds against it.

You have another one? Is that right? There's no doubt in my mind that you will do the same for it should it become sick and this time you will have a little experience under your belt.

And, who's to say this one will become ill! Chances are it won't. Now, onward and upward!

Alice

Really sorry to hear that calf didn't make it. :( And my apologies for not being able to help. I haven't had quite as much extra time as I usually do - the week's started off hectic and it's not going to slow down 'til Friday.

Latest posts