really bad cut

Help Support CattleToday:

stockbub

Reaction score
Had a calf get caught in some wire. Cut really deep. Cannot stick. Sprayed wound care on it. Is there anything I can do? Tried wrapping calf walks fine, but it bleeds bad if she hits it.

I'd have to see the cut but most times you're hurting them worse chasing them around to help them than you would be just leaving them to it as long as they aren't sick. I'm inclined to say let the calf deal with it.

I would hose it off, put calf on antibiotics, banamine, and leave him alone... if he's a tame calf I'd hose it off 2x/day and put topical cream/spray on it but not wrap it.

In your shoes I *would* make sure I checked that there was no remaining wire around the calf's leg. I saw a cow at WSU's vet school this spring that had been caught in wire and continued limping for months. Xrays revealed a wire wrapped around the leg and buried under the skin....

Is it so deep it requires stitches? Alot of nasty looking gashes will heal fine if kept clean and infection free, but sometimes they require a bit more help with a needle and cat gut, or vet help..
Nite Hawk

Latest posts