Real small heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

redfish

Reaction score
I just bought a 540 lbs. heifer 4-9-05. It was bred 8 months ago. I was wanting to know how much of a chance I was taking, by buying her. She is a baldy and lookes great so far. Milk is already in her bag. Her opening is starting to puff out and it looks like she is getting ready to go. I think she is farther along than 8 months. Also I was wanting to know if I would be smarter by taking her back to the auction and getting another bigger animal. I have had them as small as 700 lbs. and it did great, and is one of my best cows. I only have 10 but the grass is growing so I am looking for more Herford or Baldies because I think they are good in this climate here. If anyone has any good ideas on this or has experience with small heifers please help me out. Thanks. Redfish[/b][/i][/u][/quote]

I hope she was breed to a calving ease bull! Take her to an auction and buy a bigger one. That is my opinion. If you have a dead heifer and a dead calf you lost more money than you would selling her, getting a poor price and buying a new one at a high price. Good luck with whatever you do. If you keep her let us know how it goes.

The heifer is really calm and lookes healthy but you are probably right about getting rid of her. I wonder why someone would breed such a young animal unless it was by mistake.

I've seen some holstein heifers that accidently got in the pasture with a bull (or vica versa!) and couldn't have been much over 12 months when they calved. Doubt they even weighed 800lbs - the smaller ones looked to be between 6-700lbs.

Had to pull most of their calves, lost several calves and a couple of the heifers.

redfish":3sydd3mg said:
The heifer is really calm and lookes healthy but you are probably right about getting rid of her. I wonder why someone would breed such a young animal unless it was by mistake.
Same reason someone would buy such an animal. Probaly a mistake. She was probaly bred while still nursing, maybe by a half brother.

Probably was a mistake. Hopefully it doesn't become yours. I just think even if she does calf ok the stress of feeding a calf would stunt her growth. You might end up with a small cow who could give you problems in the future. Just a geuss though. She may turn out. Good luck.

If I keep her I'll let you know how it went. I hate to let a calf that lookes this good go. But thats the key word CALF. Thanks for the wellwishing. Redfish

I guess I was hoping a lot of farmers had heifers that did good calving at 540 lbs. I've never seen one this lite in the third trimester. Again thanks for the replies. This is a great disscusion board.

redfish":2tlr1e0o said:
I guess I was hoping a lot of farmers had heifers that did good calving at 540 lbs. I've never seen one this lite in the third trimester. Again thanks for the replies. This is a great disscusion board.
Lots of calves are weaned at heavier weights than that.

Like Beefy said - go with your gut, but the first thought that popped into my mind is TROUBLE! If you do decide to keep her I would put the vets emergency number in your speed dial on your cell phone. I smell a C-section coming. Better yet, (see if your vet offers boarding facilities for large animals) if you can board her at the vets office till she calves, that way when she needs help she won't have to wait for it. JMO

Good luck and keep us posted!

I'm usually a bit leery to buy any bred heifer from the salebarn, let alone one that small. You might get lucky and everything will work out. If you are fortunate enough that you around all the time to watch her real close, you probably will get away with a C-Section and stitches in your new heifer not to mention that breeding an animal that young leaves them permanently stunted. Like, I said, maybe you'll get lucky and it was bred to a nice easy, calving bull but it could just as easily bred to some big monster Charolais or Simmental. Good Luck.

some of those small ones do alright if they have a small calf. have one now that got bred at nine months, but i will be watching her closely when she gets a little closer, but she weighs 700 lbs. my son used to buy some of those & his never have any problems but mine always do. she may be just a small type cow. if you can't stand the loss don't take the gamble & get something else

Well I went to the auction and didn't take her with me. I'm probably going to take a chance on her. I really aprishiate youralls help. I may change my mind by saturday. I hope she has a real small heathy calf. If I don't forget I still plan on posting her picture. Redfish

I forgot to mention, I do have the Vet notified and he said he would come anytime I needed him to. I allways pay him with cash and he allways helps me out when when I need him. I don't know if that makes any difference or not, but I like getting paid riteaway when I,m done with my work.

Latest posts