RCA TV - quit working

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch

Reaction score
42" flat screen RCA TV purchased in July 2010 for $598 came with a defective remote that store replaced with a better remote for free. No further problems since then and TV always worked fine for 6 years without a flicker trouble free.
Yesterday while watching TV I pressed the info button on the remote that gives info about the show being viewed and
the screen went black, the power light on the TV stayed on. I've tried the manual buttons on the side of the TV all it
will do is power off power on. I reprogrammed the remote control and the same results, power off/on only..

I assume with electronics everything works fine....until it doesn't.
Something on the circuit board in the TV burned out?
Can it be repaired/refurbished and where?
Would it be worth it? Or does the cost to fix = discard and replace with a new TV?

IF so, any suggestions on a good similar size TV to purchase?
I would prefer one that will last forever. :)

Yeah I just checked - 42" RCA is now under $250 but 6 yr life is disappointing.

I have a 13" super cheap Broc/sonic with built in vcr that's over 18 yrs old and still works (though not very well).
Bought it to replace a 13" RCA that the color went bad on after about 5 years.
Guess RCA brands won't be considered for my next purchase.

My nephews all seem to think anything under 48" isn't a tv and all have at least 55" or bigger.
They can't imagine our first TV when I was a kid was a black and white TV with a 9" screen housed in a huge cabinet.

You can probably find out how to fix the RCA on youtube, but might not be worth it for a $250 tv. I have a Vizeo that quit working when it was only 2 or 3 years old. Went on youtube and some guy showed how to change out a circuitboard on it. I ordered the circuitboard off Amazon for $20 or so and put it in and it started working like new again. That was over a year ago. The Vizeo was more like a $600 smart tv.

I think it's certainly worth a look online, and maybe even a call to tech support. My screen went out on my laptop. 2 minutes online and a $50 screen from Amazon and it was back up and been fine since.

I don't know if flat screen TV screens are similar to laptop screens, but it was basically plug and play with my laptop. Took 5 minutes tops.

I have a sony that did something similar. I had to do a reset using the remote. Search online how to reset the rca. Worth a search anyways. Leave the tv unpluged for an hour or so before you do it. Something about clearing out the memory.

Our Grandson recently found a 55 inch flat screen in the trash. It looked fine and he figured out what was wrong with it and ordered the part. TV still was selling for over $500 and he repaired it for less than $50.

Works great.

Like some have mentioned, do a google search on the problem. Next would be finding the part(s) that may be needed.

presmudjo":ui5gafof said:
I have a sony that did something similar. I had to do a reset using the remote. Search online how to reset the rca.
Worth a search anyways.
Leave the tv unplugged for an hour or so before you do it. Something about clearing out the memory.
Thanks... sort of.
I unplugged it to clear the memory and reset it again with the remote.
Everything works again........... except the screen which stays black. :cry2:
Now it's a big radio.

As the saying goes, "stuff happens" (and I cleaned that one up). We live in a disposable world. If the product lives longer than the warranty then when it fails throw it away and buy a new one, a different brand. I assure you, that RCA is NOT the same RCA that was built 40 years ago

I'd be happy if they'd just make a TV that's just a TV. You turn it on, go to the channel you want to watch and set the volume and that is it--NO other options. Things went to crap when they switched to digital and made them into movie projectors, recorders, and all kinds of other stuff. There shouldn't be anything on the back of a TV but the power cord and a place to connect one antenna lead or connection and they need to move the speakers BACK TO THE SAME BE NICE side of the set where the people are sitting. What moron thought speakers on the bottom, top or the back of a TV was a good idea?

Greybeard, we got a new TV. It's called a "smart tv", at least that's what it said on the box. We got some warranty and after about 3 months there was no picture.

Wife called Best Buy and someone got on the phone asking questions and looking for some numbers. Turns out they get some specific numbers about YOUR tv and they can analyze it from their location. Told us what part was bad and how long it would take for them to get in and install it!

We took the TV back and got another one.

Here's a quote that applies to anyone who watches the crap on TV.

"Don't you wish there was a knob on the TV to turn up intelligence? There's one marked "Brightness", but it doesn't work."

We have had great luck with Sony. Look any time to have to buy a new one though. Ours is getting old.

Latest posts