Rattlesnake

Help Support CattleToday:

What i fixed in a smoker just didn't have much taste at all. That's why I'm interested in trying it some other
Anyone have any good recipes for foxing rattlesnake? I tried a couple in a smoker but wasn't impressed.
Also anyone know of a restaurant that serves them?
My fiancé and I catch them when we go back to his hometown in west TX. He loves them fried. I think he typically uses a beer batter. I refuse to try it. He and his buddies love it that way.

Never had it, guess I would eat 'em if I was hungry..... NO WAY NO HOW to sit in a bathtub of snakes.....

I like a hoe or a shovel to take care of offenders....
I'm with you Jan. I wouldn't get in a bathtub with a single chicken snake much less a whole herd of rattlesnakes. Maybe there was alcohol involved

They don't usually get in the bathtub with snakes in it. Too risky. The guy gets in the empty tub (or sleeping bag) lays still and quiet, and then the snakes are slowly/carefully added in by other snake handlers untill the tub or bag is full.

I agree. Fried rattlesnake tastes like whatever it is battered and seasoned with. Gonna be tough meat as it's all a well exercised muscle.
Otherwise, it's like eating crawfish that were boiled in water with zero seasonings added to the water.

I've been the the roundups in Freer, Taylor, Sweetwater Tx and one somewhere in Oklahoma many years ago.

They don't usually get in the bathtub with snakes in it. Too risky. The guy gets in the empty tub (or sleeping bag) lays still and quiet, and then the snakes are slowly/carefully added in by other snake handlers untill the tub or bag is full.

I agree. Fried rattlesnake tastes like whatever it is battered and seasoned with. Gonna be tough meat as it's all a well exercised muscle.
Otherwise, it's like eating crawfish that were boiled in water with zero seasonings added to the water.

I've been the the roundups in Freer, Taylor, Sweetwater Tx and one somewhere in Oklahoma many years ago.
o_Oo_O And it's not too risky to have handlers put them in with you???? Okay, I get the idea of them being placed in there and if they don't feel any threat they are less likely to strike.... I get the premise....
Let me reiterate...... NO WAY NO HOW am I going to BE IN a bathtub of rattlesnakes....by choice...... PERIOD😩😱😰

The most I have killed in a year was 20. It is relatively rare for me to see one and not get it killed. The most I have killed in a single day is 6. A neighbor kid driving on that road where I killed 6, killed 8 in a single one way trip down that road. That is the Burnt River Canyon Road. It is a pretty snakey area.

HOLY COW!!! 😯😲 Hang on let me pick up my mouth and my eyeballs from across the room!!! 👀 In that case I'd like some snakeskin boots. 😆 They should change the name of the road to Rattlesnake canyon or something.

Notice that the records show several of those bitten were in religious ceremonies.
A LOT (around 20 different people) from what I saw.

One that struck a nerve was the guy that was bitten "while pulling his pants up"

"
Rattlesnake (probably western diamondback, but possibly timber)Yancy was bitten while pulling up his pants in Smithville, Texas."

And:
September 13, 1972Probably an Eastern Diamondback RattlesnakeWhile driving near St. Augustine, Florida, Gaboury had stopped to relieve herself in the bushes beside the road. Thinking she had been pricked by a spiny plant, possibly the Spanish bayonet, she went to the emergency room, where she was treated for an allergic reaction and released. She returned home and was found dead the next morning. A snake expert determined from the size of the bite that Gaboury had likely been bitten by a diamondback rattler.[76]

So this morning I was changing tarps on the flood irrigation. I was on a ditch that I had been late spraying it. There was a bunch of dying weeds and grass blocking things up. I chopped away with my shovel so I could get the tarp to set. I swing the tarp out and climb into the ditch on the up stream end of the tarp. I step on the edge of the tarp to hold it down until I can shovel some rocks or mud on to hold it down. The ditch begins to fill while I am standing in 2 feet of water. I turn to face up stream to dig out some mud. I see the weeds moving. Something is swimming in the ditch about 3 feet from me. OH!!!! it is a rattler. It goes up on the bank. It is in heavy grass about 2 feet tall. I can see the grass moving so I start hacking in there with the shovel. I felt it hit him a couple times but I couldn't see him. His head came out in an open spot where I had a clear shot. Off with his head. It had 10 rattles and a button. One less snake on my place.

My Thompson contender with a 410 shotgun shell has taken care of quite a few rattlers here on our South Texas ranch. Last year I dispatched a few snakes but this year I haven't seen a single rattler. We do have a bumper crop of Roadrunners and more hogs than usual this year. Maybe the Roadrunners and the hogs are keeping them
In check this year?

Latest posts