Rattlesnake

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
I miss all the excitement. I was hauling cows for the neighbor over to Wingville, the other side of Baker. Got home and the wife was telling me that she wanted me to see something. She had killed a 2 foot or so rattler while mowing the grass down by the chicken house. She said she tried to run it over with the mower but it got too close to the chicken house. So she tried to hit it with a brick but again it was too close to the chicken house. So finally she went the 20 feet or so to the shop and got a shovel to finish it off. She couldn't find the rattles. It appears she got that part of the snake with the lawn mower. And it is pretty beat up so she seriously wounded it with the mower.
I did kill one of those little button rattlers over on the road on Monday. My first one of the year. And I saw a pretty good size one today on the shoulder of the road. But I had a load of calves on and was doing about 45 so I didn't slam on the brakes to stop and kill it. I guess the snakes are out.

How many will you see in a year?
The most I have killed in a year was 20. It is relatively rare for me to see one and not get it killed. The most I have killed in a single day is 6. A neighbor kid driving on that road where I killed 6, killed 8 in a single one way trip down that road. That is the Burnt River Canyon Road. It is a pretty snakey area.

The most I have killed in a year was 20. It is relatively rare for me to see one and not get it killed. The most I have killed in a single day is 6. A neighbor kid driving on that road where I killed 6, killed 8 in a single one way trip down that road. That is the Burnt River Canyon Road. It is a pretty snakey area.
Wow who knew in Oregon, we see several a year here in Texas

Theres a big shindig in okeene, Oklahoma every year.
Bunches and bunches of folks gather up and go catching them!!
Big bbq and all that jazz

I've never been, but I hear it's a hoot. They even have a giant pit full of em!

707aaf50-0d42-4df7-a3f8-4f075875ffd3.jpeg

[h3][/h3]

Anyone have any good recipes for foxing rattlesnake? I tried a couple in a smoker but wasn't impressed.
Also anyone know of a restaurant that serves them?

I miss all the excitement. I was hauling cows for the neighbor over to Wingville, the other side of Baker. Got home and the wife was telling me that she wanted me to see something. She had killed a 2 foot or so rattler while mowing the grass down by the chicken house. She said she tried to run it over with the mower but it got too close to the chicken house. So she tried to hit it with a brick but again it was too close to the chicken house. So finally she went the 20 feet or so to the shop and got a shovel to finish it off. She couldn't find the rattles. It appears she got that part of the snake with the lawn mower. And it is pretty beat up so she seriously wounded it with the mower.
I did kill one of those little button rattlers over on the road on Monday. My first one of the year. And I saw a pretty good size one today on the shoulder of the road. But I had a load of calves on and was doing about 45 so I didn't slam on the brakes to stop and kill it. I guess the snakes are out.
They're out here as well. I've killed a coral snake and a copperhead this week.

Not me!!! My momma didn't raise no fool. I don't even like swinging a hoe at a snake. That's what they make shotguns for.
Shotguns won't work when shooting down onto cement (where the snake is crawling) but a hoe sure will work ... but first throw a small coffee can of gasoline on the wiggler to slow it down.

Anyone have any good recipes for foxing rattlesnake? I tried a couple in a smoker but wasn't impressed.
Also anyone know of a restaurant that serves them?
We went to 'Rattlesnake roundup " in Sweetwater a couple years ago. We had deep fried Rattlesnake. Not impressed at all.